What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The Rotary Club of Gore has Pea Straw for sale at $10.00 per Bale, delivered in the Gore area. For orders, phone Graham on 208 5741. This is a Rotary Club of Gore Project, funds going back into local efforts and projects.
- Edendale Primary School Home and School is calling for calves and people to graze them. Last year, 12 calves were donated. All money raised goes toward activities for pupils at Edendale Primary School. For more information, or to give a calf or paddock, give Brian a call on 027 229 7577.
- Hospice Southland is looking for farmers to donate bobby calves for their next fundraiser. Farmers will raise the calf until it is weaned in late Nov/early Dec, they will then be picked up by Hospice Southland and sold at the Lorneville Sale Yards. Goal of 100 calves. For each calf farmers go in the draw to win a $2000 travel voucher. For more information and to express interest contact Hospice Southland on 03 211 3081.
- Gore Wanders AFC is the only Eastern Southland football club. They are looking for anyone wanting to play senior football, whether it be at competitive or social level. Doesn't matter if you are new to the sport, just moved to the area, or looking to make a comeback. For those keen on competitive, practices are TUES and THURS nights 6:30pm for Men at Hyde Park. WEDS 6:30pm for the ladies. Inquiries to Mel McKenzie on 027 323 6224.
- The Eastern Southland Gallery's latest exhibition is by Dunedin artist Blue Black and called "Lost and Found/Flotsam and Jetsam". Flowers, vegetables, plant roots, egg cartons, clothes, foam and various other objects are dipped in layers of clay slip and then fired and glazed. The exhbition runs until SUN 23 JULY.
- Tennis teams are being sought in West Otago. The Tapanui Indoor Tennis Club has been running for 24yrs, and they are keen for some new players or teams for a social competition. Don't have a team? No worries they will place you. Played in doubles, once a week indoors. Great way to keep fit over winter. For more call Mary-Ann on 204 8236 or 027 676 8803.
Once again the Gore DC is helping those travelling to ILT Kidzone with a subsidized return bus ride to Invercargill for only $2. It is to the final day of the festival on MON 17 JULY. This year’s Kidzone theme is "Out of this World". All children under 14 would need to be accompanied by an adult both to board the bus and to attend the festival. Buses will depart from the Gore trout statue at 9.30am and the Mataura Railway Station at 9.45am. The bus will arrive in Invercargill at 10.30am, in time for the start of the festival. The bus will leave Invercargill for the return trip at 3.45pm when the festival closes. Tickets to Kidzone and for the Go Go Gore bus are on sale at the Gore Visitor Centre until MON 3 JULY. Festival entry is $15 per person (free for under 2-year-olds). Alternatively, go to www.iltkidzone.co.nz.
- Artists Mike and Richard Ponder will have their art on display from THURS 8 JUN at 15a Hokonui Drive (the old Thompsons Flooring building). The exhibition is raising money for Hospice Southland. This will be their 8th, and over those times they have raised more than $125k! Along with paintings, there will also be prints, cards and books for sale. "Ponder This" will be open from 10:30am-4:30pm each day running until FRI 23 JUN.
- The Southern Steel and Quins Unichem Pharmacy Gore are proud to host a free training evening on the basics of sports strapping. In store on THURS 22 JUN, 6pm. Co-ordinated by Steel Physio Corina Ngatuere. All coaches and parents interested welcome to attend. The first 25 to register get a free USL goodie bag! Email email@example.com by MON 19 JUN.
- East Gore School are hosting a Quiz Night fundraiser for Yr 5+6 camp on FRI 23 JUN at the Gore Town and Country Club, in the Esplin Room. Doors open 6:30pm for 7pm start, $20 for teams of 4. Light supper provided, raffles and bar available. For more and to register call Dana on 027 721 7955.
- Rosebank School Balclutha are hosting their annual Quiz Night fundraiser on FRI 23 JUN at the School. $30 per team. Nibbles provided and plenty of raffles through the night. Auctions include a trip to Queenstown, a G Shock watch, and a dinner cooked at your place for 6. Cash bar, note cash only on the night. To register get in touch with the school on 418 1090.
- Wyndham Golf Club are hosting a Quiz Night on FRI 23 JUN, 7pm start. $10pp, four person teams. At the clubrooms, cash bar. For more or to register call Wendy 027 203 8145.
- The Clutha-Southland branch of the Labour Party is hosting an art auction featuring artists Darcy Nicholas, Judith Moreton, James Robinson and Adam Lee. More than 30 works on offer. On SAT 24 JUN at 74 Gore Street, Bluff, from 1:30pm-4:30pm. Fundraiser for the branch.
- Tapanui Rugby are hosting their Club Day at Tapanui on SAT 24 JUN. Featuring Rippa and U9s at 10:30am, U11 and U13 at 11:30am, U15 and U18 at 1pm, and the Heriot Prems at 3pm. Courtesy coach available, with Forest Lodge screening the Lions test + band afterward.
- The Lions Club of Wyndham and Friends of Tuturau are hosting a Casino Night fundraiser for Tuturau School. At the Mataura Community Centre SAT 24 JUN from 7pm. Tickets $25pp will get you some funny money to gamble with. There are 40 auctions throughout the night. These nights are known for their fun and hilarity. Get some workmates of a group of friends and come along to support the school. For more get in touch with Rosemary on 203 6050.
- Get your shop on with the Gore Winter Fete on at the Gore Town and Country Club on SUN 25 JUN, 10am-3pm. Entry $2. 72 sites, the biggest fete in Gore. Over 500 people dropped by last year. Proceeds to Gore Parents Centre.
Young Wellington musicians Oscar West and Rennie Pearson join together as the duo Polytropos to share the time honored traditions of Celtic music with New Zealand. Played on 18th century wooden flute, fiddle, smallpipes, guitar, low whistles and vocals, this dynamic show will take you on a journey into the musical minds of two very talented musicians. They will be at Gore RSA (12 Bowler Ave) SUN 25 JUN, 1:30pm. $20 door sales only.
- St Mary's School production "Get out of Town, Don't mess with our Little Southern Brown" is on at the SBS St James Theatre on WED 28 and THURS 29 JUN, 7pm. Tickets from the school or on the door on the night. Adults $15, kids $5. Family pass $40. Involving some 130 kids aged 7-11. Written by Mallory Hood, and set on Stewart Island following a developer keen to reduce Ulva Island to a tourist mecca.
Balfour Lions Club are hosting their Hay & Baleage Competition on FRI 30 JUN, at Greg & Heather Davis’s Property. Has been running for over 10yrs! 9 categories to enter. Last year $8000 raised for the community. Police Dog Handlers Demonstration at 2.00pm, followed by auction at 3.30pm. BBQ, refreshments & prize giving to follow. For any queries, phone Richard Dillon 027 2010418 or Paul Eaton 027 4838103.
- The Legends of the Hokonui's Variety Concert is on FRI 30 JUN, doors open at 7pm. At the Gore Town and Country Club. Featuring the Hokonui Celtic Pipe Band with special guests Brendan Mason, Tangled Strings, Jenny Mitchell and Triple Shot. Tickets $40pp from iTicket.
- Gore Blue Light are hosting a movie fundraiser on SAT 1 JULY, showing "Despicable Me 3" at 3:30pm. Tickets from the venue, $20 adults and $10 kids.
Survival is the theme of this year’s annual Paranormal Prom, which promises a night of free, fun entertainment for teens on SAT 1 JULY at Invercargill Public Library. An event for teens between 12 and 18 years of age, and there will be plenty of activities on offer. Attendees will be asked to dress up as something creepy, and will learn everything there is to know about horror films and books. During the night there will be horror-themed snacks, as well as a spooky photo booth to ensure everyone goes home with a keepsake of their night. The event runs from 6-9pm and registrations are required. To register visit http://ilibrary.co.nz/paranormalprom.
- St Peter's College Senior Media Students Film Festival is on MON 3 JULY at the St James Theatre, 7pm. Tickets from the main school office, $10 adults, students $7.
- The Gore Baptist Church invites you to "A Night of Hope" on FRI 7 JULY, 7pm-8:30pm. A special event for all ages, this is a unique opportunity to come along and meet Charles Kabena, a former sponsored child from Malawi. Charles will be recounting his remarkable story of hardship, courage and transformation, alongside incredible live music from award-winning social justice artist Levi McGrath. Entry is free, so bring your family and friends and join us for A Night of Hope. Learn more on our website: www.worldvision.org.nz/nightofhope
- Riversdale Lions Club are hosting their annual Hay Drive Competition and BBQ on FRI 7 JULY. At Andrews Transport Yard, judging from 1:30pm. Prize-giving at 3pm, and auction from 3:15pm. Everyone welcome, BBQ and refreshments to follow at the Riversdale Rugby Clubrooms. Funds raised going to Youth and Medical needs in local community. Inquiries to Rhys on 027 392 9687.
- Victoria's Emporium in Tapanui present a Steampunk Fashion Extravaganza on SAT 8 JULY, 2pm at the Tapanui Community Centre. Showcasing creations from Vicki Yarker-Jones and Michelle Webb. 14 local models will take to the catwalk. Tickets available from Ideal Print, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204 8688. $20 pp which includes tea. Find more on Victoria's Emporium Facebook page.
- Alexandra Musical Society are hosting Grease as their 2017 musical, running at the Memorial Theatre from SAT 8 JULY - 14 JULY. All shows 8pm par the matinee on SUN 9 JULY, 2pm. Tickets $45 adults, book online at tickets.alexmusical.co.nz.
- The Windsor Community Church invites you to "A Night of Hope" on MON 10 JULY, 7pm-8:30pm. A special event for all ages, this is a unique opportunity to come along and meet Charles Kabena, a former sponsored child from Malawi. Charles will be recounting his remarkable story of hardship, courage and transformation, alongside incredible live music from award-winning social justice artist Levi McGrath. Entry is free, so bring your family and friends and join us for A Night of Hope. Find the Windsor Community Church: 19 Windsor Street Invercargill. Learn more on our website: www.worldvision.org.nz/nightofhope.
- Southern Indoor Charity Dog Trial is indoors at the Southern Field Days Cowhouse on 8, 9 and 10 August. All proceeds from the trial will be donated to Gore St John. $20 per run, which includes entry into the open event. All welcome, food will be available. Entries close SAT 15 JULY. Enquiries to Mike Joyce on 207 2743 or 027 271 3638.
- Gore Council are again subsidizing a bus to the ILT Kidzone, available on MON 17 JULY. There will be pick ups at Gore Trout at 9:30am, and the Mataura Railway Station at 9:45am. Cost is just $2pp return. Tickets now available from the Gore Visitor Centre.
- NZ's number 1 Faulty Towers Dinner Theatre Show is coming to the Owaka Community Centre on SAT 2 SEPT. Join Basil, Sybil and Manuel for night of madness! Show includes 3 course meal and 2 hours of non stop comedy. Doors open 6:30pm, 7:30pm start. Cash bar, auctions and raffles to follow. Tickets $65pp, fundraiser for the Owaka Swimming Pool. Get yours from dkcm.co.nz, Catlins Health + Gifts, or by calling Sally on 4158724.