What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The Rotary Club of Gore has Pea Straw for sale at $10.00 per Bale, delivered in the Gore area. For orders, phone Graham on 208 5741. This is a Rotary Club of Gore Project, funds going back into local efforts and projects.
- Hospice Southland is looking for farmers to donate bobby calves for their next fundraiser. Farmers will raise the calf until it is weaned in late Nov/early Dec, they will then be picked up by Hospice Southland and sold at the Lorneville Sale Yards. Goal of 100 calves. For each calf farmers go in the draw to win a $2000 travel voucher. For more information and to express interest contact Hospice Southland on 03 211 3081.
- Volunteers are welcome at the Tapanui Community Garden on Cemetery Road every SAT morning from 10am. For more call Marjan on 204 8860.
- Gore Wanders AFC is the only Eastern Southland football club. They are looking for anyone wanting to play senior football, whether it be at competitive or social level. Doesn't matter if you are new to the sport, just moved to the area, or looking to make a comeback. For those keen on competitive, practices are TUES and THURS nights 6:30pm for Men at Hyde Park. WEDS 6:30pm for the ladies. Inquiries to Mel McKenzie on 027 323 6224.
- Tennis teams are being sought in West Otago. The Tapanui Indoor Tennis Club has been running for 24yrs, and they are keen for some new players or teams for a social competition. Don't have a team? No worries they will place you. Played in doubles, once a week indoors. Great way to keep fit over winter. For more call Mary-Ann on 204 8236 or 027 676 8803.
- Clutha Guards Marching team is holding a housie night on TUES 23 MAR, 7pm, at South Otago Town and Country Club. More more and to register call 027 418 3021.
- Jude Simpson (survivor of family violence for 28yrs) is coming to Invercargill on MON 22 MAY for a public presentation between 6-8pm, and WED 24 MAY for a presentation for professionals 1:30-3:30pm. Don't miss the opportunity to hear this inspiring speaker and hear what makes a difference when working with people who are living with violence. Register your interest with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Windows 10 Computer Basics course is on THURS 25 MAY at two session times, 12:30pm-2pm and 6:30pm-9pm. Come along and extend your knowledge of the Windows10 operating system in a small group environment. This class covers:
• Review of start menu / task bar & Windows 10 interface
• Customising Windows 10 settings & desktop
• Store & save your files
• Share / store files using One Drive or Google Drive
At Southern REAP, 6 Fairfield Street, Gore. For more call Amanda on 0800 111 117. Computers supplied. Cost $15.
Blue Mountain Netball Club are hosting their annual Family Quiz THURS 25 MAY, 7pm start in the school hall. Entry $5 per person. There will be food, refreshments and raffles also available for purchase. Bring a team or come along on the night and join one. For more call Steph 03 207 6789.
- The next Gore District Ambassador will be crowned at the awards evening being held THURS 25 MAY, 7pm (7:30pm start) at Heartland Hotel Croydon. Tickets $10 from the Gore Information Centre.
Gore Social Singles Group are meeting again THURS 25 MAY at the Thomas Green (corner of Hokonui Drive and Medway Street), 7.30-9.30pm. All welcome between the ages of 30 and 65 years. Find us on Facebook and Neighbourly. Can also call Maree for more 027 4540 535.
- Edendale Primary School pupils have been busy making craft items to sell at their market day on FRI 26 MAY. Get along from 11:30am-12:30pm, followed by a sausage sizzle. Proceeds going toward a new swing for the playground.
- Gore Youth Weekend consists of Pink Shirt Day and an Ice Party on FRI 26 MAY. Ice Party at the Gore Multisports Complex, 7pm-9pm. Free entry. Then the Night Market on SAT 27 MAY (see below). Wrapping up with the "Can for a Cause" movie on SUN 28 MAY. At the St James Gore, the movie is "Transformers - The Last Knight". 3pm start, entry by can of food (or pet food).
- As part of Youth Week, the Gore Youth Council are hosting a Youth Night Market on SAT 27 MAY at Old Horse Bazaar in Mersey Street. Running from 4pm-7pm. Everyone invited to peruse local businesses and stall holders. Some of the activities include face painting, crafts, and Mataura School selling sausages and hot chocolate. Looking for more stall holders, if you are keen email email@example.com.
- Menzies College Football is hosting fundraising Dinner and Entertainment Night on SAT 27 MAY. A "progressive dinner" with a 2-course meal from 6pm-8pm, followed by a series of bands. For more contact the school.
- The NZ Country Music Awards is on again THURS 1 JUN at the SBS St James Theatre. Featuring live performances from all finalists/nominees and Guest Artist Marian Burns. Early Bird tickets $35 until 30 APRIL. From that date, $40. Get yours from www.iticket.co.nz. Find more at www.nzcountrymusicawards.co.nz.
- McDonough Contracting Gore Truck Show is back for the 30th anniversary on SAT 3 JUN. Judging starts 8am at Transport Repairs on Faulkner Road. The parade departs at 2pm and travels along Gore's Main Street to a public display at Traffers Tavern on Hokonui Drive. Prizegiving at Traffers 4pm. Entry $10, for more call Rhonda on 208 4433 or 027 257 8895.
- Staff of the former Chateau Village Rest Home at Balclutha are holding a reunion at Queens Birthday weekend. Now known as Clutha Views Lifecare after a name change March last year, the 70 bed rest home on Essex St was built in 91. Reunion is at South Otago Town and Country Club FRI 2-SAT 3 JUN. For more or to register call Judy on 418 0694 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Big Bike Film Festival is coming to Gore at the SBS St James on TUES 6 JUN. The night promises to connect cycling fans through the art of cinema with a range of remarkable stories. Screened to sell out crowds across NZ. Tickets $20 available from bigbikefilmnight.nz or from the venue. Also on in Invercargill TUES 30 MAY.
- A workshop aimed at hitting the "One Million Stars to End Violence" target Gore Women's Refuge have set is on WED 7 JUN. It's at Salvation Army Gore Corps, starting 10:30am. The stars will be sent to the Gold Coast for an installation displayed at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- Legendary broadcaster Keith Quinn has been confirmed as the guest speaker for the 2017 ILT Southland Sports Awards, on at Ascot Park Hotel FRI 9 JUN. Celebrating the achievements of Southland's athletes, teams, coaches, administrators and officials. Nominations are open now at www.sportsouthland.co.nz.
- Northern Southland College Young Farmers Club Quiz Night is on FRI 9 JUN. Come along to the Northern Southland College Hall, 6.30pm start. Teams of 4 for $24. Open to all ages with awesome raffles. A great family night out. To register contact Kane on 0273767547.
- Scrumptious Dinner with Chelsea Winter is on SAT 17 JUN at the Gore Town and Country Club, 6pm. $90 per ticket, tables of 10. Just 200 available. Get yours by calling Sonia now on 021 987 621.
- Victoria's Emporium in Tapanui present a Steampunk Fashion Extravaganza on SAT 8 JULY, 2pm at the Tapanui Community Centre. Tickets available from Ideal Print, email email@example.com or call 204 8688. $20 pp which includes tea. Find more on Victoria's Emporium Facebook page.