What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Are you a West Otago Local? West Otago Swimming Pool is in the process of creating a recipe book that showcases our district and the great cooks within our community. If you would like to see one of your family favourites in print, email your recipe to email@example.com. For more call Vicki Adams on 027 242 9010.
- Clutha Valley Lions are hosting their 4th Farming Expo on THURS 1 MAR, at 171 Tuapeka Mouth Road. Featuring around 100 exhibitors. Open 9am-4pm. Also featuring export lamb competition and speed shears. For more call Karen on 415 9492.
- Blue Mountain Motorcycle Club are hosting the Original Moa Flat Trail Ride on weekend SAT 4 and SUN 5 MAR. Find them signposted 521 Wilden School Road, Moa Flat. Featuring 2 loops with added extreme sections. Also pee-wee track, and family loop suitable for ATV. Entry on the day from 8am, gates open 9am. Last rider out 3pm. $45 senior, $25 Junior. Own helmet, fuel and suitable footwear required. Food available for purchase on site. Fundraiser for BMC Aussie Tour 2018.
- Waikaia School Family Trail Bike Ride is on SAT 4 and SUN 5 MAR at Glenaray Station, Piano Flat Road, Waikaia. Junior ride specifically designed for those 16yrs and under, suitable for whole family. BBQ lunch available for purchase both days. Registration from 8:30am, tracks open 9am-4pm. Overnight camping available. $10 for under 5s, $20 for 5yrs and older. Keep an eye on the Waikaia Family Trail Bike Ride Facebook page for details, and also myrides.co.nz. For more call Nigel on 027 495 8032.
- Winton Fun Run is on SUN 5 MAR, kicking off from Central Southland College (Grange St) from 10am. Walk, run and bike options across 2.5km, 6km and 12km distances. Entries on the day, but pre-registration encouraged at Winton New World, Winton Night and Day, The Local and Sports Southland Invercargill. All proceeds to the Central Southland Community Pool. The pool is also open for everyone competing to enjoy a free swim afterwards.
- Sharon Holt is the author and publisher of the award winning Te Reo Singalong series of children’s picture books. The books are much loved by teachers and children all over New Zealand, with 13 books in the series already and more to come. Sharon and Alan Holt bring their Te Reo Singalong books to life in this interactive show. A 30 minute show full of puppets, costumes, props and action. They will be in the following places around Southland:
LUMSDEN @ Adamson Hall, LUMSDEN
Tuesday 07 March 2pm – 2.30pm
OTAUTAU @ Sports Complex, OTAUTAU
Wednesday 08 March 10am – 10.30am
WINTON @ Central Southland Presbyterian Church Hall, WINTON
Wednesday 08 March 1.30pm – 2pm
MATAURA @ Mataura Community Centre, MATAURA
Thursday 09 March 10am – 10.30am
GORE @ James Cumming Wing, GORE
Thursday 09 March 1.30pm – 2pm
Entry just $2. For more call Southern REAP on 0800 111 117.
- The Gore and Districts Motorcycle Club presents the MLT Super 6hr Challenge, returning to Kaiwera on SAT 11 MAR. Ride iron man or two riders, one bike. If you're a trail rider, you'll love this. Limited to the first 100 teams and 50 individuals, so don't mess around. For more and to register visit www.gdmcc.co.nz or find the Gore & Districts Motorcycle Club on Facebook. You can also call Paul on 021 684 181.
- Attain your St John First Aid Level 1 certificate in Gore on THURS 16 MAR, and Edendale on THURS 8 JUN. Ideal for anyone who wants to learn basic first aid or needs to update their first aid qualification. The course covers...
• scene assessment & safety
• CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) for babies, children & adults
• AED familiarisation (automated external defibrillators)
• Treating: Bleeding, Burns, Diabetic emergencies,
• Fractures/dislocations, Soft tissue injuries, Asthma,
• Seizures, Stroke, Chest Pain, Allergic reactions.
All day course 8:30am - 5:30pm, $100pp (You must be a minimum of 13 years old to attend this course). At St John Rooms Gore / Edendale Christian Activity Centre. To book call 0800 111 117 and asked for Linley @ Southern REAP.
- West Otago Art and Craft Exhibition is on at the Westo Otago Community Centre, with opening night FRI 17 MAR at 7pm. Tickets $15. Exhibition is then open daily 10am-4pm until TUES 21 MAR, $5 entry. Guest artist is John Toomer. This is the second bi-annual exhibition after a 14yr break. Exhibitor entries welcome (fees apply), get in touch with Norma on 204 8689 for more. Also find the local club on Facebook. Entries are open until FRI 24 FEB, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lions Club of Ohai/Nightcaps and the Takitimu Primary School present the Mt Linton Muster on SAT 25 MAR. Registrations from 10:30am, racing from 12-noon. Pre-registration closes TUE 21 MAR (save yourself $10). Mountain bike, run and walk options. Proceeds distributed in Takitimu District. For more or to register visit www.mtlintonmuster.co.nz.
- Hokonui are proud to support the Waikoikoi School annual on-farm ambrose golf tournament on SUN 26 MAR. On the property of Lennox and Vicki Crawford. Theme this year is "Battle of the Bands". Tee off from 9am. For more get in touch with Snow Robertson email@example.com.