What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Are you a West Otago Local? West Otago Swimming Pool is in the process of creating a recipe book that showcases our district and the great cooks within our community. If you would like to see one of your family favourites in print, email your recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more call Vicki Adams on 027 242 9010.
A parenting course in Gore for parents of Tweens and Teens runs for 6 sessions until the 11th April. 7 - 9pm and is being held at the Gore Kids Hub. It gives parents ideas and strategies for coping with the rollercoaster teens years with a focus on enjoying the ride and building great relationships. It's positive, practical and fun. To register or for more information contact Katrina on 0278417763 or email email@example.com.
- The Gore Contract Bridge Club are hosting their "Learn to Play Bridge" sessions, beginning TUES 21 MAR at 7pm. Find the club on Trafford Street. Cost of $40 which includes subs for the year. The club usually hosts two sessions a week, Mondays from 7pm and Fridays from 1:30pm. For more contact Carole Bee on 206 4863 or 027 632 7853.
- Local MP Todd Barclay is encouraging you to nominate outstanding young people for the 2017 New Zealand Youth Awards. They recognise young NZers who have made outstanding achievements and made contributions toward supporting youth in their communities. Applications close midday WED 22 MAR. The award winners will be formally recognised at an event at Parliament on 12 April.
- Wyndham Races Family Fun Day was postponed earlier this month. It is now on THURS 23 MAR at Gore Raceway. All kids activities including the bouncy castle, bumper ball, face painting, scavenger hunt and pony rides are free! The butcher competition is back, including entries from Edendale, Blue Mountain and Takitimu Sausages. Woodlands Butchery has won the title the previous two years. Also featuring the "win a horse for a day" raffle.
- A special screening of the movie "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" is being held in the woolshed of the historic Cromel Valley Station at Five Rivers on THURS 23 MAR. The event is a fundraiser for the local playgroup. Entry is by gold coin donation. Wild pork sausages available for purchase and venison steak sandwiches. Gates open 5:30pm, movie starts 6:30pm. Seating available but people encouraged to bring their own.
- Clutha Youth Council quiz night is on at Balclutha Hall FRI 24 MAR at 7pm. For more contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gore Young Professionals are hosting their monthly networking drinks at the Thomas Green from 5pm on FRI 24 MAR. If you are in the first 15yrs of your career and working around Gore, come along!
- Lions Club of Ohai/Nightcaps and the Takitimu Primary School present the Mt Linton Muster on SAT 25 MAR. Registrations from 10:30am, racing from 12-noon. Pre-registration closes TUE 21 MAR (save yourself $10). Mountain bike, run and walk options. Proceeds distributed in Takitimu District. For more or to register visit www.mtlintonmuster.co.nz.
- A conference to inspire women to be brave is on SAT 25 MAR at the Calvin Community Church. Hosted by Steph Redhead (formally of Gore), the founder of Bravegirl. Lunch provided as part of the entry fee. Runs 9am-5pm, cost $80. Register via the website www.bravegirl.co.nz.
- A 4WD trip the the Whitehill Wind Farm and surrounding properties of North Range and Saunders is being held SAT 25 MAR. A rare occasion to get up and personal. Raffles and lolly scramble for the kids. All weather tracks. Kicks off 1pm at the gates of the wind farm on Felton Road, $50 per vehicle. Fundraiser for the Mossburn Community Pool.
- Lawrence Car Club's Show n' Shine and Cruise is on SAT 25 MAR.
Ahead of the KartSport New Zealand National’s which will be held in Invercargill at Easter, several North Islanders are joining Southern entries at this weekend’s Southland Spirit Of A Nation meeting at the Invercargill Oil Shop Raceway at Pit Road. Racing from 9.15am on SAT 25 MAR and 8.45am on SUN 26 MAR.
- Hokonui is proud to support the Waikoikoi School annual on-farm ambrose golf tournament on SUN 26 MAR. On the property of Lennox and Vicki Crawford. Theme this year is "Battle of the Bands". Tee off from 9am. For more get in touch with Snow Robertson email@example.com.
- Millers Flat Lake Onslow Trailride is on SUN 26 MAR. Featuring 5000 acre high country stations, 80km of trails, tracks for all abilities. Entries taken on the day. For more check out "Adventure Trailrides Events" on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Balfour Lions are hosting a 4WD trip of Eyre Mountain foothills and surrounding areas SUN 26 MAR. The trip is raising money for a plaque to commemorate 100yrs of Lions in NZ. Some of the money would also go to local events. Registration from 10:30am on the day at the Athol Hall, before departing 11:15am. $60 per vehicle, including BBQ dinner. For more call Paul on 027 483 8103.
- Balclutha Rotary annual book sale starts MON 27 MAR and runs until SAT 1 APRIL, 10am-6pm at the Balclutha Hall.
Quiz Night with proceeds going to The Otago/Southland Rescue Helicopter is on MON 27 MAR, 7.30 start. At West Otago Town and Country Club in Tapanui. $20 team of 4... $25 for team of 5. For more get in touch with the venue.
- Food Lovers Masterclass with Kate Meads (The Nappy Lady) is being held THURS 30 MAR at Rosebank Lodge in Balclutha. During this 2hr masterclass you will receive lots of exciting tips to reduce food waste. Tickets $10, which includes a $100 goodie bag! Bookings essential, for more visit www.wastefreeparenting.co.nz.
- VetSouth are inviting farmers to take part in the Southland Rural Try-Cycle Series this month. A chance for farmers to take a break from the tractor. An event for all levels of fitness. Inspired by the Fit4Farming campaign last year. The next event will be from VetSouth Tapanui on FRI 31 MAR, and the third from VetSouth Otautau on APRIL 7. All events start 11am with a BBQ lunch and refreshments to follow thanks to FMG. Anyone interested in riding is asked to please RSVP to Chelsea Gill on 236 6090.
- Jody Direen, with special guest Kayla Mahon, is performing at the Longford Tavern in Gore on SAT 1 APRIL, 7pm. Limited tickets available now from all MLT outlets. For more call 208 7023.
- Inner Wheel Club of Balclutha are hosting a charity afternoon tea with Judith Cullen - one of NZ's leading lifestyle personalities, sharing her passions and insights into food, cooking and travel. On SAT 1 APRIL, 2pm at the South Otago Athletic Club Rooms. $20 per ticket, which includes drink on arrival and high tea. Limited tickets from Heat and Soul Cafe or Carmen on 413 9006. Proceeds to Look Good, Feel Better Foundation.
- South Otago Wood Craft is hosting an Open Day on SAT 1 APRIL at the clubrooms on Crown Street, Balclutha from 10am-2pm. They have been around for 25yrs. The club usually meets on Monday afternoons and Wednesday evening. Come along to find out what they are about and the projects on the go. For more contact the president Bob Draper on 027 714 7502.
Clutha Country Music Club is having a Quiz Night on FRI 7 APRIL, 7.00pm. At their club rooms on Francis St, Balclutha. Teams of 5-6 people, $5 per person. If you cant get a team together come along anyway & we will put you into a team, a great way to make new friends. Prizes & Raffles. BYO drinks & nibbles. All welcome. For more call Lynn Smart 0275798274 /034178357.
- Lawrence annual 1/4 Mile Drags is on again SAT 8 APRIL.
- The Southern Aussie Car Club are hosting Muscle Mania back at the Gore Town and Country Club on SAT 8 APRIL, 11:30am-4pm. Entry by gold coin. Registration between 11am-12pm, $10 per car. Live entertainment and food + drink available. If you would like to register as a stall holder please email email@example.com.
- Blue Mountain Duathlon is on SAT 8 APRIL, 10am, starting from Clutha Valley Rugby Club on the Clydevale River Road. Various course options and distances including duathlon, mountain bike only, walk/run only. Registration from 9am. Race information and entry forms from Clutha Valley Lions Facebook page or give Gary a call 027 201 4175. BBQ and drinks to follow. Proceeds to Clutha Valley Education.
- Gore High School Prefects are again hosting their annual Prefects' Variety Concert on TUES 11 and WED 12 APRIL at the SBS St James Gore.
- Kaitangata Golf Club are hosting the 2017 Chicken Run and Oceanview Cup at the Wangaloa Golf Course on Easter SUN 16 APRIL. Two for the price of one! Best nett wins Oceanview Cup, Stableford prizes for all. All day BBQ and 2-course evening meal. Entry $30, tee times 8:30am to 9:36am and 12-noon to 1:24pm. Entries to secretary Kevin McCabe on 413 9193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Prebooked times to be confirmed by 9 APRIL.
Multi Media Art Exhibition hosted by the Fiordland Arts Society is on at Fiordland Vintage Machinery Museum; cnr Sandy Brown and Milford Roads, Te Anau. Open to the public from 10am to 5pm EASTER SAT 15 and SUN 16 APRIL; and 10am to 3pm MON 17 APRIL. Gold Coin Donation, children free. “Vintage Plus” is the theme.
- An evening with Halberg Awards Supreme Winner Lisa Carrington is on SAT 22 APRIL at the Gore Town and Country Club. Doors open 6pm, seated by 6:45pm. Featuring a 3 course meal, complementary drinks, entertainment and cash bar. Formal dress. Tables of 8, $800. Also featuring Mike Peru as your host. To book your spot email email@example.com. A fundraiser for St Peter's College Rugby.
- Gore Harriers are back with the Gore 1/2 Marathon (and 6 + 12 km events) on SUN 30 APRIL.
- Celebrating a 30yr tradition in Southland, the Administrative Professionals Day is back FRI 12 MAY, featuring guest Zelda la Grange, who served as Nelson Mandela's secretary, gatekeeper and constant companion for 20yrs. Zelda's 2nd trip to NZ. At Ascot Park Hotel, 12:30pm. $70 per person, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 218 7451. Spaces limited.
2017 Bluff Oyster & Food Festival is back SAT 20 MAY. Tickets are available from Ticket Direct, or from Barnes Wild Bluff Oysters in Spey Street, Invercargill, Foveaux Dairy in Gore Street. The entertainment gets underway at 11am after the gates open at 10.30am with the traditional Piping In Of The Oyster, the Ode and official welcome. Tickets cost just $30 while children 14 and under accompanied by an adult are $10. For further information contact: John Edminstin - 03 212 7746.