What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The West Otago Swimming Pool Committee have gorgeous new cookbooks for sale. $40 each, grab yours from Hokonui office on Main Street, or find the stall at Field Days. Practical, well-loved recipes provided by the best cooks West Otago has to offer. Luke speaks from experience when he says it's a go-to!
- "Altered Ground - Etchings from the Collection" is an exhibition on now until SUN 29 JULY at Eastern Southland Gallery. Etching is a form of intaglio printmaking that dates back to the 16th century. This exhibition features a selection of key works from the collection exploring a broad over-view of etching in New Zealand. Running alongside the "Set in Stone" showcase. Admission is free. Find more www.esgallery.co.nz.
The Rotary Club of Gore has Pea Straw for sale at $10.00 per bale, delivered in Gore area. For orders phone 208 5741. This is a Rotary Club of Gore Project, with funds back into the community.
- Housie is held every FRI night at the Mataura Marae. Doors open 6:30pm, starts 7:30pm. Proceeds to help towards a new kitchen. All welcome to come along and bring a friend. Nau mai haere mai! For more contact Kerry on 027 768 0471.
- 45th Riversdale Arts Exhibition is on from FRI 20 - SUN 29 JULY at the Riversdale Community Centre. Look out for the street art on the lead up, including the 2m high cake. Around 70 artists have entered this year's exhibition, one even from Northland. Tickets on the door. More information here.
St Peter’s College Film Festival is on THURS 26 JULY, from 6:30pm at the SBS St James Theatre. A variety of short films that students have made for their NCEA. Tickets only $10 for adults, and $7 for students. Available from the St Peter’s College Office.
An afternoon tea is being put on at SIT’s Downtown campus on Don Street for the esteemed judges of the Hokonui Fashion Design Awards. The event is an opportunity for international delegates from Wuhan Polytechnic University in China to experience a snippet of the New Zealand fashion world and the experience of fashion students at SIT. SIT is a major sponsor of the Hokonui Awards and has enjoyed an ongoing relationship which includes SIT fashion students entering the competition each year, as well as Beauty Therapy/Hairdressing students being involved with the models’ hair and makeup for the catwalk. The afternoon tea is FRI 27 JULY at 3pm, and will be attended by SIT Chief Executive Penny Simmonds and the Hokonui Fashion Design Awards judges, Francis Hooper from World (Head Judge), Doris de Pont, Luke Bettesworth and Sue Prescott.
- The Dan Davin Awards are on again and entries are open until FRI 27 JULY. Three competitions - junior and senior short stories, and adult poetry. Student entries judged by Heather McQuillan. The awards themselves held August 31.
- The Northern Southland College Young Farmers Club is hosting a Quiz Night on FRI 27 JULY at the NS College Hall. Starts 6:30pm, teams of 4 $20. Great raffle prizes up for grabs. For more and to register contact Josh Bennett on 027 483 9467.
- Watercolour for Beginners is being held SAT 28 and SUN 29 JULY at Southland Education. This beginners course students will learn the basic techniques of: washes, colour mixing, negative painting, perspective, composition and planning. 10am-4pm, $120pp. For more call 03 218 8180.
A posse of southern country music stars are rounding up their talents for a special showdown at the Ascot Park Hotel SAT 28 and SUN 29 JULY. The Highway Men and Ladies of Country show echoes the outlaw cool of four of country's biggest male superstars – Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Waylon Jennings – and some of the sassiest female singers too. Featured male artists Bryan Townley, Ron Mitchell, Brendan Mason and Dene Allen will sing the hits of country’s greatest supergroup as well as the best-loved songs of the four individual artists, while Bonnie Turner and Jo Ward are bringing to the mix music by the likes of Tanya Tucker, Shania Twain, Leann Rimes and Rita Coolidge. The stars will be backed by the Triple Shot Show Band, featuring former Southland Entertainers of the Year Steven Hayes and Simon Thompson, along with Matt Ward and Chris Chilton. There are two performances to choose from – a Saturday night dinner and show or special Sunday matinee. Bookings are essential. Saturday 28 July: 6pm, Tickets $75 Dinner & Show. Sunday 29 July: 2pm, Tickets $25 Matinee Show. Phone the Ascot Park Hotel on (03) 219 9076 or email: email@example.com to reserve your seats.
- St Peter's College and Rosmini House are hosting an Open Day on TUES 31 JULY. Boarders open day 2-7pm, College open 4-7pm. Inviting all prospective families to visit. More details at www.stpetersgore.school.nz.
- Get up and close with the mighty SIT Zero Fees Southland Stags on TUES 31 JULY. Watch their training from 3pm, then join in with some skills and drills with your favourite players from 4:30pm. At the Riversdale Rugby Club. All kids welcome from all schools. At Riversdale School is weather is poor. Thanks to our mates at Advance Agriculture for making it happen.
- Tapanui Golf presents the Forest Lodge Hotel Mid-Week Tournament on WED 1 AUG, 12-noon start. Gross and stableford (ladies one extra shot). Morning tea beforehand from 11:15am. Early start 8am available by request. Limited field, prior entries preferred by MON 31 JULY to Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org or 027 512 6431. $1000s in prizes, special prize holes, drinks cart, on course BBQ, full meal afterwards. $40 entry.
A meeting is being held to start organising the 50th reunion of Menzies College, in 2021. The meeting is being held in the Menzies College staff room on TUES 2 AUG, at 7.30pm. If you are unable to attend, but interested in helping, please ring Julie on 0274454719.
- West Otago Lions and West Otago A+P are hosting a Hay, Balage and Pit Silage Competition and Auction on FRI 3 AUG.
- The Invercargill Irish Society is holding an Irish Variety Concert at Ascot Park Hotel on SUN 5 AUG, 2pm-4pm. Tickets are $10 for adults, free for school kids. Tickets from the venue from Mon 16 July or on the door. Irish Dancers will share the proceeds of the concert with the Irish Society. The programme will also feature fiddlers, singers and other instrumentalists.
A Romney Stud Breeders and Stud Stock Agents Reunion is on at the Croydon Lodge on TUES 8 AUG. There is a bus tour starting 9am, then going to three farms of both stud and flock romneys, arriving back at the Croydon 3:30pm. The rest of the day is for catch up with a dinner at night. Guest speaker is Sir Brian Lochore. To register e-mail email@example.com, or phone 03 44850764.
The Catlins Coast Rally, organised by the Eastern Southland Car Club, is on SAT 11 AUG. Attracting entries from far and wide and this year one of those is Mark Parsons of Drury, south of Auckland. Another of the big names is Ray Wilson, and will start his first ever Catlins Rally in a car that carries a poignant message and was built in memory of a good friend and fellow competitor - Malcolm Stewart. The rally will begin from Owaka Motors Campbell Street, at 10am. Competitors will tackle six high speed Special Stages over a total of 150 kilometres before the event concludes in Owaka at 3.44pm. The rally is Round 6 of the Mainland Rally Championship and part of the Eastern Southland Car Club Rally Championship.
Balfour Volunteer Fire Brigade are hosting a Roast, to raise funds for Ronald McDonald House in Invercargill. On SUN 12 AUG, 1pm at the Balfour Rugby Club rooms. Please book by TUES 31 JULY, bookings are essential for catering purposes. $20 per person, $50 per family. Contact Callum Black on 0211503279, or go to their Facebook page to book and for more details.
- Clinton Young Farmers 10th annual Quiz Night is on FRI 17 AUG at the Clinton Community Centre. 7pm start, teams of 4-6, $40 per team. Includes supper platter. Cash bar and raffles on offer too. Fundraiser for the Southland/Otago Cancer Society. RSVP to Mel on 027 510 1242.
- Gore Pakeke Lions 2018 Book Sale is on in Hokonui Pavilion at the Gore Showgrounds THURS 23 - SAT 25 AUG. Open Thursday night 6pm-9pm, then Friday 9am-8pm, and Sat 9am-12noon. Books, magazines, music, DVDs, jigsaws, produce. Light lunch available on Friday too. All proceeds to Gore Hospital Family Room. For more contact Pakeke Lions Secretary Doug Dixey on firstname.lastname@example.org.