What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The West Otago Swimming Pool Committee have gorgeous new cookbooks for sale. $40 each, grab yours from Hokonui office on Main Street, or find the stall at Field Days. Practical, well-loved recipes provided by the best cooks West Otago has to offer. Luke speaks from experience when he says it's a go-to!
West Otago Tapanui Museum is open 2pm-4pm weekends. Pop in for a look. Find more on their Facebook page.
- Gore Junior Wanderers Club are looking for a few more players across all grades so teams have enough players to cater for injuries, illness etc. Check with your friends and spread the word! Touch base with them on Facebook.
- From Mataura Community Gardens to your Plate is a programme running TUES through end of MAR and early APRIL. Learn how to cook delicious and healthy meals using produce straight from the Mataura Community Gardens. Prepare and take home a meal, take home easy recipes for future use, and learn about making your money go further at the supermarket. 10.30am - 12.30pm on given dates, $20 (for all 4 sessions). At the Mataura Presbyterian Church Hall. For more and to register call Southern REAP on 0800 111 117.
- Gore Hospital would like any crutches or wheelchairs that have been loaned out to patients in the community and no longer needed, to be returned.
Workplace Safety Southland is a local business that is providing FREE monthly CPR classes. Contact Andrea on 027 54 54 054. Numbers limited. Being held Salvation Army Room on Irwell St, donation to Salvation Army appreciated.
Touch Southland will be holding trials in March for the Junior Representative sides to take part in the 2018-19 Junior Representative season. Trials in Invercargill, Queenstown, Winton and Gore. To register please click this link then click and complete the appropriate form. All information is inside the registration link. http://www.touchsouthland.co.nz/representative-1/junior-1.
KidsFit Holiday Programme for Gore, Lumsden & Wyndham is offering days of sports, games, and challenges this April! Programme runs from 9am–3pm for $35 per day in selected locations. Check out the website for more information and enrol now - spaces limited www.kidsfit.co.nz/holiday. You can also email Olivia on email@example.com.
- Kaitangata Art Exhibition is open daily until SUN 25 MAR, 2pm-6pm. Featuring over 70 NZ artists, at the Kaitangata Post Office. Find a diverse range of works to view, painting, photography, sculpture, craft work: wood, leather, embroidery, rag rugs, quilts, knitting, cake decorating and live music from a selection of musicians. For more call Anne-Marie Davis on 027 477 4066.
- South Otago Gun Club hosting it's final Wednesday evening practise WED 21 MAR, 6:30pm. Final until Spring. At the club grounds on Glasgow Street, Balclutha. All welcome.
- A community meeting on the future of the Lumsden Maternity Centre is on WED 21 MAR, 7pm. SDHB will be in attendance.
- Rockschool certificate presentation evening and student concert of the Ashby School of Music is on FRI 23 MAR at ASM Studio, 88 Main Street, Gore. Starts 7:15pm, gold coin entry. Refreshments provded. Featuring performances by ASM students, and guest artist Sam Cullen. The Hard Yards duo Dean Ashby and David Baker. For more contact Dean on 021 130 9026 or visit www.rockschoolnz.co.nz.
- Milton Bruce RSA's fishing competition is on SAT 24 MAR. Entry $25 senior, $15 for Junior. BBQ and weigh-in at Milton RSA on Union Street, last fish 4pm. Prize giving from 5pm. If you don't want your fish it will be auctioned off on the night with proceeds to Clutha Search and Rescue. Tickets from the RSA, Hunting and Fishing up til FRI. For more contact Keith Bain on 417 8927.
- The inaugural Jenkinson Electrical Great Easter Bunny Hunt is on SAT 24 MAR, 10am-1pm. At Naish Park, Balclutha. Tickets from Clutha i-Site and St John Clutha.
- The recently established Gorge Road & Districts Heritage Society are hosting a Heritage Day on SAT 24 MAR. It involves a bus trip around the area - Gorge Road, Waituna, Oteramika, Mokotua, Kapuka and Kapuka South - starting at 2pm from the Gorge Road Country Club. Local residents sharing stories on the trip. Afternoon tea at Oteramika Hall. Cost $10pp to cover the bus. Take a trip down memory lane. Book space now to Sheree Keenan on 239 5822.
Gore & Pukerau Fire Brigades are holding a fundraising BBQ at Ezi Clean car wash on Hyde Street, SAT 24 MAR from 9.30am. All proceeds to Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand for the Fire Fighter Stair Challenge.
Harness racing action at Central Southland Raceway in Winton this SAT 24 MAR with the Wairio Trotting Club’s annual Ladies One Mile Day. The day will feature fast paced one mile racing with the feature being the Southern Veterinary Centre Southern Belle Speed Series Heat for a stake of $10,000. As it is Ladies Day the females on course will have their own special competition – Prizes In Purses! Ladies are invited to drop their losing tote tickets with their name and contact number into the special bucket on course and eight draws will be made throughout the day for the winning lady on each occasion to come to the birdcage, choose a handbag and receive the prize that the bag contains. It could not be easier to win. Participants do have to be over 18 however to have entered a losing ticket. The men need not worry because they can still put their losing tickets into a draw for betting vouchers courtesy of on course caterers Gypsy Kitchen. Each year the club profiles a lady who has made an impact in the harness racing industry and this year Sheree Tomlinson, the first lady in history to win the prestigious Dominion Handicap during Cup Week at Addington last year, is the lady honoured. For the children there are free activities – sack races, a scavenger hunt and a lolly scramble. The action is scheduled to begin at 12.10pm and admission to the course is free.
The 10th Riverton Heritage Harvest Festival is on SAT 24 and SUN 25 MAR, 10am-4:30pm at Aparima College Hall. A celebration of Southland's home harvest and traditional growing, harvesting, and preserving methods. Look out for workshops, demonstrations, displays, a farmers market, a pot-luck feast, music & friendly company! There will be things to taste and buy; produce, chutney, baking, plants and seeds. The cider press will be operating all weekend, bring along your apples to press or taste the fresh juice. A harvest café in the hall will feature heritage style food. There will be displays of the produce of the south, many types of apples, potatoes and tomatoes. Bring along vegetables from your own garden or preserves from the pantry to add to the displays at any time over the weekend, there are prizes to be won! With 15 different low-cost workshops offered over the weekend it is a great chance to learn a range of self- sufficiency skills that will save you money. Old fashioned children’s games are on offer for the young and young at heart. All welcome, $2 adults, $1 children. For more visit www.sces.org.nz.
- Hokonui is proud to support the 24th annual Waikoikoi School on-farm Ambrose Golf Tournament. On SUN 25 MAR on the farm of Lennox and Vicki Crawford. A fantastic challenge and fun day out with the mates (teams of 4) with on-course bar and BBQ. Fundraiser for the school. For more and to register get in touch with Kris on 027 536 2372. Theme this year: "Tight and Bright".
- The annual Ken Milne Classic is on SUN 25 MAR, 10am start. Entry forms online at sportotago.co.nz, or enter on the day from 9am at the Clutha Rugby Club. $20pp for triathlon and duathlon, and $10pp for the 5km run/walk. All participants in the draw to win a $1100 mountainbike! Proceeds from the day to Balclutha St John.
- Knapdale School is hosting a movie fundraiser of Peter Rabbit on SUN 25 MAR. Film starts 2.30pm. $20 adult, $15 child. Includes a goodie bag. For more email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Balfour Backyard Beauties is back SUN 25 MAR, gates open 10am at Balfour Showgrounds. Entries and judging from 12:30pm. Something for everyone with market stalls, cash bar, and children's activities. For more including entry form call Jodie on 027 2014 711. Also find them on Facebook.
- Clutha Marching seniors Easter housie is on TUES 27 MAR, 7pm, at the South Otago Town and Country Club. For more phone Dianne on 027 497 9366.
- A support group "Cancer, Coffee and a Chat" is on WED 28 MAR, 10am-11am at the Centre for Rural Health Development, Kakapo Street Gore. This group is open to anyone living with cancer and/or their carers. Some members may be newly diagnosed while others may be undergoing treatment or have finished treatment. For more contact Abbey at Cancer Society Southland on 027 218 4008 or email@example.com.
A public seminar on "Animal Protein vs Alternative Plant based Foods: A Threat or Opportunity in Disguise" is on WED 28 MAR, 7.30pm at South Otago Town and Country Club. There has been recent publicity on the use and future of animal proteins. Beef and Lamb NZ recently commissioned an international company to study the impact of alternative protein on the red meat sector. Alternative proteins are on the verge of being mainstream and stealing growth from traditional meat products (eg plant based substitutes, emerging insect and algal based products and lab grown meat products). This seminar will highlight the current situation and consider future opportunities for food producers and consumers in New Zealand. All welcome to attend this FREE seminar brought to you by the AgBoard. Please RSVP to Murray Harris on 021 616 605 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Speakers include:
- Nick Beeby - General Manager Market Development Beef + Lamb NZ.
- Blake Holgate - Animal Proteins and Sustainability Analyst Rabobank.
- Dr Frank Griffin- Emeritus Professor Otago University.
Multi Media Art Exhibition hosted by the Fiordland Arts Society, with the theme “The Past Rekindled” is on at Fiordland Vintage Machinery Museum; cnr Sandy Brown and Milford Roads, Te Anau. Easter Weekend '18. Open to the public: 10am to 5pm daily on SAT 31 MAR and SUN 1 APRIL; and from 10am to 3pm on Mon 2 April. Gold coin donation, children free. As well as static displays of art, there will also be fun and interactive demonstrations of two Steam Punk Sports, namely Monster Teapot racing and Tea Duelling. For more info see: https://www.facebook.com/FiordlandArtsSociety/.
- Milton Coronation Hall society is raising funds for interior renovations to the historic building. An Easter Market Day is on SAT 31 MAR, 10am-2pm. Stall bookings to Olive on 417 8515. For general inquiries contact Jill 417 8044.
- Stabicraft Gore Boat Club Poker Run is on Lake Manapouri Easter SAT 31 MAR. All welcome, fun family boating with some great prizes up for grabs. Registration from 9am at Manapouri Hotel. Skippers Poker Hand $25, additional Poker Hands $10. Any queries call Dave McFadzien on 027 439 7035.
- Jody Direen, alongside support act Arun O'Connor, is performing at the Longford Tavern Function Cenntre on SAT 7 APRIL, doors open 7pm. Tickets from MLT establishments or call 208 7023.
- Gore Main School PTA are hosting a Quiz Night at the Heartland Hotel Croydon on WED 11 APRIL, doors open 6:30pm for 7pm start. Teams of 4, $20 per team. For bookings contact Adele on 027 917 8099. Raffles and food and drink on the night. Limited numbers, pre-bookings only, first in first served.
- Hedgehope School PTA's first ever Race Night is on FRI 13 APRIL at the Hedgehope Hall, doors open 6:30pm, first race 7:30pm. 8 race programme with the chance to win some great prizes. Fashion in the Field. Admission $10pp including drink on arrival, horses for $20 each. Tickets and full details from the school office 03 230 6106. Proceeds to the support development of school pool to wet play area. Adults only.
- Waimumu Art and Craft Exhibition is back, with opening night FRI 11 MAY. Entries have been emailed, if you know any artist who would be keen then please message them on Facebook here. This year Courtney Gaudion is the Guest Artist. She is a Southland born artist working in Queenstown. Courtney is self taught and focuses on capturing beauty and wonder from memories, dreams and local landscape. More to come.