What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Are you a West Otago Local? West Otago Swimming Pool is in the process of creating a recipe book that showcases our district and the great cooks within our community. If you would like to see one of your family favourites in print, email your recipe to email@example.com. For more call Vicki Adams on 027 242 9010.
A parenting course in Gore for parents of Tweens and Teens runs for 6 sessions until the 11th April. 7 - 9pm and is being held at the Gore Kids Hub. It gives parents ideas and strategies for coping with the rollercoaster teens years with a focus on enjoying the ride and building great relationships. It's positive, practical and fun. To register or for more information contact Katrina on 0278417763 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rotary Club of Gore has Pea Straw for sale at $10.00 per Bale, delivered in the Gore area. For orders, phone 208 5741. This is a Rotary Club of Gore Project.
- Volunteers are welcome at the Tapanui Community Garden on Cemetery Road every SAT morning from 10am. For more call Marjan on 204 8860.
- ANZ Gore are again hosting their popular School Holiday Treasure Hunt. Pick up a form from the ANZ Gore Branch. Find the 30 globe money boxes scattered through businesses in town, and drop your completed form back into ANZ Gore by FRI 28 APRIL to win a $100 Warehouse voucher! See in branch for further details. Draw on MON 1 MAY.
The Tapanui Scarecrow Festival is on SAT 22 APRIL - SUN 30 APRIL. Last year's event raised $2346 for the Cancer Society! This year funds to the Child Cancer Foundation. Bring scarecrows and your entry form along to the area outside PGG Wrightson's in Tapanui from 10am-12pm on Sat 22nd April. $5 entry fee, entry forms from businesses around town or on the day. All scarecrow entries will be displayed around the Tapanui township for the Festival Week during which time we ask that the public vote for their favourite scarecrow with cash donations. Voting stations will be in the following Tapanui businesses: Hammer Hardware, Four Square and Seasons. During the festival week there is also a Scarecrow Colouring Competition, pictures will be available from the Tapanui Four Square from Saturday 18th April. The Festival Finale will be held on Sunday 30th April, 12.30, at the Tapanui Town & Country Club. Come along wearing your scarecrow fancy dress, Mini scarecrow making, Face-painting, Raffle, Sausage sizzle and Chocolate Wheel. For more call Sue Brooke (02102274469).
- Legendary broadcaster Keith Quinn has been confirmed as the guest speaker for the 2017 ILT Southland Sports Awards, on at Ascot Park Hotel FRI 9 JUN. Celebrating the achievements of Southland's athletes, teams, coaches, administrators and officials. Nominations are open now at www.sportsouthland.co.nz. Nominations close WED 26 APRIL.
Lumsden Combined Churches Annual Book Sale is on at Lumsden Memorial Hall FRI 28 April – SUN 30 April. Catch them Friday 4pm - 8pm, Saturday 10am - 4pm, Sunday 10am – 12 noon. Books for sale can be left at the Anglican Church, Meadow St, or Resource Centre, Hero St. To support the work of Southland Hospital Chaplaincy and their churches support of home and overseas missions.
- West Otago X Factor, a fundraiser for Blue Mountain College Tour Group, is on at West Otago Community Centre on SAT 29 APRIL, 8pm. Doors open 7pm. Good music with a "kiwi twist". Bar open, supper provided. Tickets from Sarah Davies on 027 424 2752.
- You Move Festival is on at the Little Theatre in Gore on SAT 29 APRIL. Celebrating International Dance Day - free workshops, hip hop, jazz, ballet, kapa haka and more. For all ages. Celebration Party from 6-9pm. Find full details on the Facebook page - facebook.com/youmovefestival.
Karaoke at the Clutha Country Music Club is on SAT 29 APRIL in their clubrooms on Francis St, Balclutha. 7.30 pm, BYO bring your drinks and nibbles & a supper plate. Come along with your singing voice, or just a listen to some fine music. Entry $8. Keep an eye out for the raffle tickets.
Diamonds Day, hosted by the Invercargill Harness Racing Club, is scheduled for Ascot Park Raceway SUN 30 APRIL. This is the third year the day has been rebranded as Diamonds Day and on course patrons will be able to enjoy some of the best racing to be seen in the south with the finals of the Nevele R Stud/Macca Lodge Southland Oaks and the Alabar Southern Supremacy Stakes, both races run over 2700m for a stake of $45,000. The bMAC Sheetmetal Southern Country Cups Final also over 2700m for a stake of $25,000 is another feature as is the Group 3 Diamond Creek Farm 2yo Classic raced for a stake of $38,000 over 2200m. Several other innovations make up this special day of racing including the Legends Lounge where this year two of Southland’s former champions will be acknowledged. Both Cardigan Bay and Robin Dundee will be honoured with a display in the ground floor cafeteria at the course. A week prior to Diamonds Day the club will also be racing at Ascot Park Raceway with a ten race programme on Sunday 23 April. Admission to both race days is free.
- Gore Harriers are back with the Gore 1/2 Marathon (and 6 + 12 km events) on SUN 30 APRIL.
- West Otago Rod and Gun Club's Duckshooter's Practice is on SUN 30 APRIL, 1pm.
- Do you have spare time to give back to your Community? Victim Support are looking for volunteers in Gore and wider Southland! Full training is provided over two weekends, 10th - 11th June & 24th 25th June. Closing date for applications is MON 1 MAY. No cost, if interested find out more at www.victimsupport.org.nz or call 0800 865 868.
- A public meeting to discuss the future of the Lumsden Maternity Centre is on at Lumsden Hall on TUES 9 MAY, 7:30pm. 4 volunteer directors are stepping down in June, and frozen funds from SDHB have made going challenging.
- One for the Guys - Men's Night on Child Brain Development is on WED 10 MAY at Longford Tavern, 7pm-9pm. $20. Parent education is often aimed at mums as they are the ones that turn up! So here is your chance to hear the latest neuroscience and child development with all the fluffy bits taken out and delivered in a punchy and fast paced style with humour and plain language. Work out if what you’re doing is benefiting your child!
Learn how your child’s brain works, the stages and changes it goes through, and what you can do to help. For more call Southern REAP on 0800 111 117.
- A 3-7 yrs Child Brain Development Seminar is on WED 10 MAY, 12:30pm-2:30pm at the Gore Kids Hub. $20. Explore the needs that relate to the development of social emotional skills, which as well as developing resilience, play a crucial role in the subsequent development of cognitive skills such as literacy. Explore the research that relates to this development and how this impacts on our practice, interactions and relationships with young children. For more or to enrol call Southern REAP 0800 111 117.
- Celebrating a 30yr tradition in Southland, the Administrative Professionals Day is back FRI 12 MAY, featuring guest Zelda la Grange, who served as Nelson Mandela's secretary, gatekeeper and constant companion for 20yrs. Zelda's 2nd trip to NZ. At Ascot Park Hotel, 12:30pm. $70 per person, RSVP to email@example.com or call 218 7451. Spaces limited.
- Southland Wedding Expo is on SUN 14 MAY at Ascot Park Hotel, 10:30am-2:30pm. Tickets $10 online at www.eventbrite.co.nz. Get in quick to receive one of 350 goodie bags! Seminars from 11:30am. Find more on their Facebook page too. Could also win a wedding gown on the day valued $2000.
- Jennian Homes Mother's Day 5km Fun Run/Walk is on SUN 14 MAY at Balclutha A+P Showgrounds on Glasgow Street. Registration from 9am, event starts 10am. All participants receive a Dick Frizzell designed event shirt. For more visit jennianmothersday.com.
2017 Bluff Oyster & Food Festival is back SAT 20 MAY. Tickets are available from Ticket Direct, or from Barnes Wild Bluff Oysters in Spey Street, Invercargill, Foveaux Dairy in Gore Street. The entertainment gets underway at 11am after the gates open at 10.30am with the traditional Piping In Of The Oyster, the Ode and official welcome. Tickets cost just $30 while children 14 and under accompanied by an adult are $10. For further information contact: John Edminstin - 03 212 7746.
- The NZ Country Music Awards is on again THURS 1 JUN at the SBS St James Theatre. Featuring live performances from all finalists/nominees and Guest Artist Marian Burns. Early Bird tickets $35 until 30 APRIL. From that date, $40. Get yours from www.iticket.co.nz. Find more at www.nzcountrymusicawards.co.nz.
- Victoria's Emporium in Tapanui present a Steampunk Fashion Extravaganza on SAT 8 JULY, 2pm at the Tapanui Community Centre. Tickets available from Ideal Print, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204 8688. $20 pp which includes tea. Find more on Victoria's Emporium Facebook page.