What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Gore Golf Course are hosting "Give Golf a Go" sessions on Wednesday evenings, 5:30pm at the course on Reaby Road. Ideal for those who have never played golf before or have not played for some time. Group lessons covering the basics. Just turn up, equipment supplied. Free of charge.
Gore District Libraries is hosting "The Great Escape" summer reading programme for kids of all ages this Summer. Call into the library in Gore or Mataura to sign up.
- Also the Clutha District Libraries are hosting a summer reading programme. Registrations for "Wild About Reading" have opened and close DEC 22.
Local ladies Janeen Moir and Sacha Ramsay are putting together pamper packs for Womens Refuge recipients for Xmas. Stemmed by the want to give something to affected mothers as well as the kids. They are looking for local businesses and the community to donate items for packs, including (but not limited to)...
Sanitary items (pads tampons ect)
Handmade jewelry (for all those crafty ladies out there)
Anything pretty, yummy, or nice smelling would be a lovely luxury item for these mums at a tough time of year. Please drop items to HiB Hair on Main Street, Paint the Town Red (across from Countdown). For more call Janeen on 0275550213.
- The Invercargill Xmas Tree Festival is on at ILT Stadium. From now until the festival itself on FRI 22 DEC, members of the public will be able to view and vote on their favourite trees. Still competition, with 33 on display. Open weekdays 4pm-8pm, and weekends 10am-3pm. Gold coin donation. Designers of the winning tree donate half the money made to their nominated charity.
- Vote for your favourite tree and help a local charity in the TWO Promotions Christmas Tree Competition at La Hoods the Chemist Tapanui. Pop by anytime between now and WED 27 DEC.
- Pukerau School PTA are hosting a fundraiser - giving rides to Ed Sheeran's weekend concerts on March. A charter bus will run from Gore to Dunedin return on SAT 31 MAR and SUN 1 APRIL at $50pp. Bus picking up and dropping off 3 locations around Gore and anywhere along SH1 en route. Get in quick, seats selling fast. Call Dave 021 194 1333.
- Ice Sport Southland are hosting their production Alice in Wonderland on Ice at the Gore Multisports Complex the weekend FRI 15 - SUN 17 DEC. Catch the show Friday 7pm, Sat 5pm or Sun 12pm. Adults $10, kids $5. Ticket sales on the door, food available too. Cash only!
- Otautau Promotions are hosting the Otautau Christmas Street Party on FRI 15 DEC, expecting more than 500 people. Variety of vehicles in the parade including Santa, fire engine, tractors, dancers, and the Waimatuku Pipe Band. From 5pm-8pm. Loads of other activities including a bouncy castle, mini jeeps, wood chopping, photo booth, food, stalls, merry-go-round, karaoke. Most of the children's activities are free.
- Hokonui is proud to support Ascot Park Xmas at the Races on SAT 16 DEC at Ascot Park Raceway. Gates open 11am, adults GA just $20. Note this event is R18. Also the addition this year of AWOP electronic payment wrist bands onsite to reduce wait times. Keep an eye out for Luke from Hokonui for your chance to win a share of $500 in Easy Bet vouchers!!
- Top Nosh Tapanui are hosting Breakfast with Santa on SAT 16 DEC. Family fun starting 7am with a buffet breakfast. Fun and games with Santa and friends. Get a professional family shot in Santa's grotto. Again spaces very limited, call Top Nosh to book!
MLT Christmas in the Theatre is back at SBS St James SAT 16 DEC. An extravaganza of delightful Christmas performances. Featuring headliners Silhouette (the stars in NZ Got Talent 2013), as well as Jay Wadsworth, Gore Police Choir, St Peters College Kapa Haka Group, Musical Christmas Puddings, Hokonui Celtic Band, Bonnie Turner, Jo Ward and many more. Triple Shot as the backing band. Keep an eye out for the Grinch and Christmas Fairy. Tickets selling fast - $20 for adults from the venue or iTicket.
- South Otago High School is running an "It's In the Bag" fundraiser for a 2018 Vietnam Trip. On SAT 16 DEC, show starts 8pm at the Balclutha War Memorial Hall. Tickets $35. To get yours call Bonnie on 027 250 0324.
- The Waikaka Community Street Christmas Party is on Dungannon St on SAT 16 DEC, from 1pm until late. Take a chair, food and drinks. Phone Mel Taylor on 027 322 8227.
- The pledge campaign for Jenny Mitchell's new album "Wildfires" wraps up on SUN 17 DEC. The target is $15,000 which has to be met, otherwise no funds are collected! You can donate by clicking here.
- 3rd Downriver Dash (used to be White Hill Classic) is on again SUN 17 DEC. A mountain-biking and running event which follows the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail from Centre Hill to Mossburn. Last year 84 entries. Run is 16km and bike is 23km. E-bike's encouraged. Participants meet Mossburn Golf Club and then transported to start line, briefing 11am. Late entries on day between 10-11am. Spot prizes, BBQ and prizegiving to conclude. Entry $20 visit www.whiteclassics.co.nz.
- Hokonui's $10,000 Cash for Christmas Announcement Night is on WED 20 DEC down Irk Street. From 5pm join us for a range of food options, entertainment on the big stage, street performers and more. Between 6pm and 6:30pm, be there if you have entered the draw and you could walk away with $10k Cash for Christmas!! More here.
- Tapanui Christmas Parade is on FRI 22 DEC down Northumberland Street. Top Nosh also hosting another pizza night from 5pm-7:30pm. Book now, spaces limited!
- The 2017 ILT Christmas Variety Show is back at ILT Stadium Southland on FRI 22 DEC, 7pm. It was a SELL OUT last year, so be in quick for tickets at the venue or via TicketDirect. A spectacular two hour show featuring a wide range of Musical and Dancing talent. Adult $16.00 + Booking Fees
Children $10.00 + Booking Fees (12 Years and Younger).
- Tapanui Racing Club are hosting Gore Christmas at the Races on SUN 18 DEC, from 12-noon, at Gore Racecourse. General admission just $10.
The Southland District Council Holiday Programme is coming to a town near you this January. The programme runs between MON 8 JAN and FRI 26 JAN for kids aged between 5 and 12 years old. Join us for games, sports, arts, crafts, drama and more! The holiday programme runs from 10am – 3pm each day and costs $8 per child. Enrolments must be made online prior to the programme, find out more at www.sdcholidayprogamme.co.nz and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sdcholidayprogramme.
The Southland Buskers Festival is a four-day family friendly circus and street theatre festival. The ninth annual event has a little something for everyone and features some of the best acts from around the globe including The Mighty Mike Show (Canada), The Old Time Rags (UK), Bex in Motion (Canada), The Red Trouser show (USA), Mr Quirk (NZ), Tianna the Traveller (Canada), Vinyl Burns aka Kim Potter (NZ) and 3 Three Ring Riot (NZ). Kicks off THURS 1 FEB at 6pm in Queen’s Park with the ILT Busker Cabaret (Busker Stage band rotunda area) and continues to make magic and laughs around the city until SUN 4 FEB. Full printed programmes will be inserted with Invercargill City Council rates invoices in January. Will also have a PDF version that can be downloaded from Venture Southland’s website in early January. Keep updated by following the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/southlandbuskersfestival/
- The Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust 26th Cavalcade rolls into Owaka on SAT 3 MAR 2018. Entries are now open for all wagoners, walkers, riders, and this year cyclists! The Kaitangata Cranksters Cycle Trail is the new inclusion, meeting FEB 27 and riding their way to Kaitangata. About 500 people take part in the cavalcade each year, and around 1000 expected to converge on Owaka. Details at cavalcade.co.nz or call Katy Button on 027 412 0008.