What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The West Otago Swimming Pool Committee have gorgeous new cookbooks for sale. $40 each, grab yours from Hokonui office on Main Street, or find the stall at Field Days. Practical, well-loved recipes provided by the best cooks West Otago has to offer. Luke speaks from experience when he says it's a go-to!
The Rotary Club of Gore has Pea Straw for sale at $10.00 per bale, delivered in Gore area. For orders phone 208 5741. This is a Rotary Club of Gore Project, with funds back into the community.
- Housie is held every FRI night at the Mataura Marae. Doors open 6:30pm, starts 7:30pm. Proceeds to help towards a new kitchen. All welcome to come along and bring a friend. Nau mai haere mai! For more contact Kerry on 027 768 0471.
Nepia Simeon's woodworking and canvas exhibition ‘Personalised’ is on from MON 14 – SUN 27 MAY, South Alive Community Art Gallery, South City Mall. Free entry.
- Balclutha Genealogical Society is hosting a Research Night on THURS 17 MAY, 7-9pm. At Balclutha Public Library. Research held and guidance on hand. Come along and explore the resources. Enquiries to Ruth 418 2621.
- Ballance Farm Environment Awards Otago supreme winners Logan, Ross and Alexa Wallace are hosting their Field Day on FRI 18 MAY, at 182 Beacon Hill Road, Wairuna. From 12-noon. BBQ lunch.
- The Clinton Open Squash Club Tournament is on FRI 18 and SAT 19 MAY, with finals on the latter night. All inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Knapdale School Hay and Baleage competition is on FRI 18 MAY at the Knapdale Hall, from 4pm. Anyone looking to donate or buy hay or baleage, this is the event for you! A social occassion with BBQ tea, raffles and licenced bar on offer. For more information give Gidget a call 03 208 3281.
- Clutha District Settlement Support is hosting Clutha Culture Feast at the Cross Recreation Centre FRI 18 MAY, 6pm-9pm. Featuring O-Taiko drumming band.
- CANCELLED - COLLECT TICKET REFUNDS FROM HEART N SOUL CAFE. Inner Wheel Club of Balclutha invite you to a charity High Tea with Ginny Green, the CEO of Otago Community Hospice. Also Kerry Stainton-Herbert from Stewart Town Vineyard Central Otago. It's on SAT 19 MAY, 2pm at the South Otago Athletics Club on Pearson Lane. Tickets $20, including a complimentary drink on arrival. Limited tickets available from Heart and Soul Cafe. Raffles on the night too, $2 per ticket. All proceeds to Otago Hospice.
- Clinton Primary School fundraiser Mrs Brownz' Boys is on at the Clinton Community Centre SAT 19 MAY. Doors open 6:30pm. Tickets $65, which includes a 3 course meal.
- The annual 4WD Mud Plug is on SAT 19 MAY at Slopedown Road, Clinton. 9am-3pm.
- The Southern Sound Foundry, for NZ Music Month, is hosting a night of original local music (and some classic kiwi covers) on SAT 19 MAY. At Longford Function Centre, 8pm until late. Featuring Lachie Hayes (2018 Southland Entertainer of the Year), Murgatroyd, Reuben Turipa, Sam Cullen, Yellow Aesthetic, Daryl Cleghorn, Murder on Venus and Crash Course.
- Edendale Community Pool Shed Raid is on SUN 20 MAY, 11am-3pm. At 515 Edendale Woodlands Highway, Dacre. Raising money for a new roof for the Edendale pool. Tickets $10pp (under fives are free), with $1 from every ticket also going to Hospice Southland. Come and view an amazing collection of Ford Falcon GTs - you don't have to be a Ford fan to appreciate this collection of classics! 20 in total, including a Mad Max 1974 XB Fairmount Coupe replica. Also raffles, sausage sizzle, coffee cart, and free bouncy castle for the kids. Register for tickets and more details by phoning Beckz Boutherway 027 930 9441, or by emailing email@example.com.
- A Live Well Health and Cooking Workshop is on SUN 20 MAY at the James Cumming Wing, from 3pm-5pm. Enjoy an informative talk by Invercargill GP Thomas Joseph, followed by a number of practical cooking demonstrations. Dr Joseph and his team have been holding classes in Gore over the past 5yrs. He will speak about the link between diet and chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity and cancer. Guests will learn the role proper nutrition can play in curbing the above. Recipes available to take home free of charge. For more or to register contact Mike on 027 607 3709.
- Cultural Diversity Training for Employers is a free training session for the Southland community. The workshop is an introduction on cultural diversity in the workplace. On TUES 22 MAY, 9am - 11:30am and 5pm - 7:30pm. Held at SIT Gore, light refreshments provided. To register and for more contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Also click here for more, and the other seminars happening around the South.
- Federated Farmers is hosting workshops discussing the Southland Water and Land Plan, asking What's Next? How does the new version of the plan affect you? What is Federated Farmers appealing? How can you be involved going forward? Join them TUES 22 MAY 7-9pm at the Otautau Sports Complex on Hulme Street, and WED 23 MAY at the James Cumming Wing, Gore. For more contact Bernadette Hunt on 027 542 9275.
- National Party Leader Simon Bridges will speak at a public meeting at Gore RSA on FRI 25 MAY, 10am. One of many on his tour of the country. All welcome.
- Waikaia Playgroup and Plunket are hosting a Hunting Competition from 6am FRI 25 - SUN 27 MAY. Stag/Boar/Drake. Weigh-in 1-3pm at the Waikaia Rugby Grounds. Plenty of prize categories, and a kids section. Entry $160 for a team of 4, $45 individual and $10 kids. Registration forms need to be in FRI 18 MAY. For more contact email@example.com, or find them on Facebook.
- Clinton Young Farmers present the Black & Gold Clinton Community Ball 2018. SAT 26 MAY the Clinton Community Hall, 8pm until late. Formal dress. Supper and live band "Chantilly". Tickets $40pp from RD1 Farm Source Balclutha and Gore, or Food for Thought Clinton. You can also call Marinka on 027 374 9148. Courtesy coach to Gore and Balclutha. R18 ROAR.
- The NZ Century Farm and Station Awards dinner in Lawrence is on SAT 26 MAY. Celebrating farmers working their land for 100 years or more. More than 200 people are expected to attend to honour 32 families from across the country. The event's purpose is the capture and preserve the family history which might otherwise be lost through the generations. Families submit narratives of their farm history, together with photos and supporting documents, which are then archived in the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington. This year sees an increase of sequicentennial awards, with 11 of the 32 families achieving the milestone of retaining their farm for 150 years or more. Regional Economic Development Minister Shane Jones is the guest of honor.
The tickets are sold out but preparations continue apace for the 2018 Bluff Oyster & Food Festival in Bluff on SAT 26 MAY. On stage the popular Bluff School Kapa Haka Group, followed by Lachie Hayes of Tokanui, recently crowned Southland Entertainer Of The Year. Also Invercargill band Otepuni Moonshine, a popular act at last year’s event. Next up is another who appeared last year, Helen Henderson, supported by the Mollymawks. She is followed by Gore born but Nashville domiciled Jackie Bristow at the end of a nationwide tour with Australian muso Mark Punch. Bluff Oyster & Food Festival site, Lee Street, Bluff with gates due to open at 10.30am.
- The South Otago Town and Country Club is hosting a Pink Ribbon Brunch on SUN 27 MAY, raising funds for Breast Cancer Foundation NZ. From 9:30am, tickets $15. Bookings are required, get in touch on 418 1522.
- The Thomas Green are again hosting a Pink Ribbon Breakfast SUN 27 MAY to raise funds for the New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation. This year it's a Breakfast Buffet, complete all your hot favorites with fresh fruit, cheeses and baked treats. Tea coffee and Juice Bar! Tickets are available now from the Thomas Green for $25 for a single ticket, or $90 for a table of 4 (limited avaliable). Please book your table when you buy your ticket. Cash only as all proceeds go to NZBCF. An auction and raffles will follow the breakfast with prizes kindly donated by local businesses. Breakfast will be served from 8.30-9.30AM.
With all the talk on transitioning from coal to wood waste across Otago and Southland, you're invited to a workshop covering opportunities, drivers, fuel supply, case studies of wood energy use and questions around what the blocks might be to moving to biomass heating. Ideal for farmers to add another revenue stream to their farming operations. International guest speaker, Neil Harrison from re:heat, UK will outline the success of Scotland’s wood energy programme. On WED 30 MAY, 8.30am to 4.30pm at Wains Hotel, Dunedin. Registration here: https://www.bioenergy.org.nz/event/workshop180530-transitioning-from-coal-to-wood-fuel-in-otago.
Chris Duggan photo portrait exhibition is on from TUES 5 - SUN 17 JUN at South Alive Community Art Gallery, South City Mall. Free entry.
- The Gore High Foundation invite you to their four course dinner, with a matching wine taster to each course, at the beautiful Thomas Green Restaurant in Gore. On FRI 8 JUN, 6pm. Ten artworks to view during the night, plus a couple of elite bottles of wine, will be auctioned after the dinner. Artists include Rachel Errington, Olivia Turner, John Badcock, Mel McKenzie & Dick Frizzell. Tickets are limited, $100pp. Tables of six, eight or ten to suit. Special dietary requirements by prior arrangement. Come & enjoy this lovely night with us & help the Foundation build their Future Foundation Fund. For more or to book contact Susan Dale on 027 430 4619 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
South Alive Quiz Night is on THURS 14 JUN, 7pm at the Newfield Tavern. $20 for a team of 4. Awesome raffle prizes including concert tickets to The Feelers, tickets to Wrestling Down South and a trip for 2 on the TSS Earnslaw! Contact South Alive 2186882 or email@example.com.
- Wyndham Young Farmers Club Ball is on SAT 16 JUN, 7:30pm at the Wyndham Community Hall. Masquerade theme. Music by Chantilly. $40 a ticket, order by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Also check out their Facebook page - Wydnham Young Farmers Club. R18 event.
Jack ‘n’ Jill portrait fundraiser SUN 24 JUN at The Pod, Ness & Grace Streets. $10 for a professional 15 minute photography session including a free 10x13” photo. Must book in advance. Contact South Alive 2186882, email@example.com