What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The Rotary Club of Gore has Pea Straw for sale at $10.00 per Bale, delivered in the Gore area. For orders, phone Graham on 208 5741. This is a Rotary Club of Gore Project, funds going back into local efforts and projects.
- Mataura Community Garden is calling for volunteers. They usually help on Saturday mornings, but other time slots can be made available. Suits a wide range of people from teens to newly retired. For more information on being a volunteer at the garden call Matthew on 203 3068.
- Edendale Primary School Home and School is calling for calves and people to graze them. Last year, 12 calves were donated. All money raised goes toward activities for pupils at Edendale Primary School. For more information, or to give a calf or paddock, give Brian a call on 027 229 7577.
- Hospice Southland is looking for farmers to donate bobby calves for their next fundraiser. Farmers will raise the calf until it is weaned in late Nov/early Dec, they will then be picked up by Hospice Southland and sold at the Lorneville Sale Yards. Goal of 100 calves. For each calf farmers go in the draw to win a $2000 travel voucher. For more information and to express interest contact Hospice Southland on 03 211 3081.
- Gore Wanders AFC is the only Eastern Southland football club. They are looking for anyone wanting to play senior football, whether it be at competitive or social level. Doesn't matter if you are new to the sport, just moved to the area, or looking to make a comeback. For those keen on competitive, practices are TUES and THURS nights 6:30pm for Men at Hyde Park. WEDS 6:30pm for the ladies. Inquiries to Mel McKenzie on 027 323 6224.
Nominations for the 11th annual Gore District Community Awards are now open! You can find further information about awards categories and nomination forms at goredc.govt.nz. Please note the Awards catchment area (except for the Civic Award) is the Gore District health boundary. Nominations close FRI 15 SEPT. The Awards night is at the Gore Town and Country Club on Friday 3 November.
- Commissioners will consider the NZTA's Edendale Bypass proposal during a hearing on WED 16 AUG. SDC staff were preparing a report for the meeting. The aim is to realign SH1 so heavy traffic no longer travels past Edendale School, residential properties and a sports ground. Public wanting to speak to their submissions will have the chance.
- South Otago Theatrical Society's "50 Curtain Calls" is on at the Balclutha War Memorial Hall from WED 16 AUG - SAT 19 AUG, 7:30pm (2pm matinee on Sat 19th). Tickets from sotheatrical.yapsody.com or from Johnstone Electrical.
Housie is on at the Clutha Country Music Club Rooms on Francis St, Balclutha, this FRI 18 AUG, 7.00pm. Bring your drinks & nibbles. Tea & coffee supplied. All welcome.
- Community groups have signed up for the BNZ "Closed for Good" campaign. Will see each BNZ branch close its doors on WED 23 AUG for one day, and thousands of staff will get out to help community organisations across the country. Find out more and register at www.closedforgood.org.
- Gore Pakeke Lions Club are again hosting their Book Sale out of the Pavilion at Gore Showgrounds. On THURS 24 AUG from 6pm-9pm (usually the busiest), FRI 25 AUG 9am-8pm and SAT 26 AUG from 9am until 12-noon. Proceeds this year to Gore St John. In previous years they have raised around $20,000 per sale! Luncheon on the Friday.
- Southland U13 boys Hatch Hockey team are fundraising to get to tournament in Auckland. They are hosting a movie night THURS 24 AUG at the St James. The movie is "American Made", starting 8pm. Tickets $20, contact Jo Lawton to secure yours 027 452 6153.
- Clinton Young Farmers Club are hosting a Quiz Night on FRI 25 AUG at the Clinton Community Centre, 7pm start. Teams 4-6 people, $40 per team (includes supper platter). Cash bar, auction and raffles. Proceeds to the Cancer Society. RSVP to Emma 021 110 3299.
- A Quiz Night is on FRI 25 AUG at Forest Lodge Tapanui, 7pm start. $20 for a team of 4, great prizes up for grabs + raffles on the night. Courtesy van available for locals. In support of dancers getting to national comp in Hamilton in October. Portion also going to WO St John.
- NZ's number 1 Faulty Towers Dinner Theatre Show is coming to the Owaka Community Centre on SAT 2 SEPT. Join Basil, Sybil and Manuel for night of madness! Show includes 3 course meal and 2 hours of non stop comedy. Doors open 6:30pm, 7:30pm start. Cash bar, auctions and raffles to follow. Tickets $65pp, fundraiser for the Owaka Swimming Pool. Get yours from dkcm.co.nz, Catlins Health + Gifts, or by calling Sally on 4158724.
- The Gore Gauntlet is back SAT 2 and SUN 3 SEPT - even bigger and better than last year! CrossFit Gore is hosting their annual CrossFit competition seeing athletes from throughout Southland, Otago, and Central Otago competing to see who is the 'Fittest in the South". Get down to the Gore A&P Showgrounds from 9am both days and check out the action. For more call Anissa on 021 863 142.
- West Gore Home and School presents Smartfit Stylist Hayley Steemson for an entertaining evening of styling and fashion on WED 6 SEPT at Gore RSA. The evening promises a talk and showcase of new season fashion. Local hair and beauty businesses also showing. Doors open 6:45pm. For more info find West Gore School on Facebook.
- Winton Lions are hosting a Blue Ribbon Dinner Fundraiser at Winton's Top Pub on FRI 8 SEPT. 6:30pm start, key note speaker Tony Laker on "How the Hell Did That Happen?". Tickets $50 from Winton Pharmacy and the Lions Club direct on 027 643 9267. All proceeds, including auction, will be donated to Prostate Cancer Foundation.
South Otago Gun Club hosting their Club Shoot SAT 9 SEPT, 1pm start. Skeet and down the line events. All welcome at club grounds Glasgow Street, Balclutha.
- A cooking demonstration by Bevan Smith of Riverstone Kitchen, Oamaru is being held TUE 26 SEPT at the West Otago Community Centre in Tapanui. 6pm for a 6:30pm start. $30 includes nibbles through the night and food that is demonstrated. Spot prizes and raffle on the night, and Riverstone recipe books for purchase. Fundraiser for the BMC Tour Group. Tickets from Sarah on 027 424 2752.