Weather Roading Report - Feb 4 2020
Weather Roading Report - Feb 4 2020
Here's the latest conditions report as of 5:00pm. Thanks to our mates at Bannerman Cruickshank Pryde Lawyers.
Also visit www.es.govt.nz for the latest river conditions.
The weather is causing havoc with the roads. Please watch https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/southland/
- SH 6 (Invercargill to Queenstown) is closed from Lusmden to north of side of the Devils Stair Case due to flooding and slips. There is also water over the road just north of Dipton which is rising and may cause the road to be closed at Dipton.
- SH 97 Five Rivers to Mossburn is closed.
- SH 94 ( Mossburn to Te Anua) at the Mararoa River (the Key) the road is closed, but there is a detour in available via Blackmount Redcliffe road and Weir Road to Manapouri.
- SH 94 ( Lumsden to Gore) has water across the road in several locations in the Croydon to Otamita area.
- SH 1 (Gore to Balclutha) is closed between Gore and Clinton. Detour is via SH 93 (Matura to Clinton). The road is now closed between Matura and Gore. There is no detours available for section of road as the local roads are also affected by flooding.
- SH 90 (McNab to Tapanui) is closed.
- Menzies College is closed on Wednesday due to the flooding.
FROM GORE DC
At 2.20pm today, Southland Civil Defence Emergency Management Group chair Neville Cook declared a state of emergency for the Southland region, including Gore, following yesterday’s declaration for the Fiordland Community Board Area.
The declaration comes as extensive flooding causes significant problems across the region, including road closures and landslips.
Emergency Management Southland controller Angus McKay said the declaration helps provide a coordinated response to the emergency, which is being managed from the Invercargill emergency centre.
The list of roads closed in the Gore District continues to grow. It includes the following
- State Highway 90 at McNab
- State Highway 1 from Gore to Clinton
- Waikaka Road
- Otama Road
- Knapdale Road
- Ontario Street
- River Road
- MacGibbon Road
- McDonald Road
- Whiterig Road
- Charlton Road,
- Woolwich Street,
- Knapdale Road,
- Talbot Street,
- Koa Street
- Ardwick Street between Devon and Onslow streets
Northern Southland roads have been impacted by heavy rain and Southland District Council is advising people not to travel unnecessarily. Rivers are continuing to rise and they are expecting conditions to worsen.
Contractors are out responding to calls from residents but advise conditions are challenging and they are not able to access all of the affected areas.
Flooded roads are closed off where contractors are able to gain access but many areas are not reachable.
The following roads have been closed:
· Ellis Road between Acton and Lowther Rds
· Felton Road
· McLean Road (Garston)
· Lora Gorge Road
· Henderson Road
· Riversdale - Waikaia Road
· Pyramid-Waiparu Road
· Otautau Tuatapere Road (detour via Clifden Highway)
· Wyndham Station Road (Mokoreta)
· Mimihau School Road from Wyndham Road to the cemetery
FROM CLUTHA DC
Owing to the rain that has been falling steadily, Clutha District Council has received information that the Clutha River at Balclutha is expected to rise to 2200 cumecs between 6-11 pm tonight before climbing to 2500 cumecs by 4.00am tomorrow morning.
River levels this high will make the Owaka Highway outside Balclutha impassable. Clutha District Council has made the decision to close this road at 5.30pm tonight. The road will be completely closed to all traffic.
Welfare Centres are being opened by Council at 5.30 at the Cross Recreation Centre in Glasgow Street, Balclutha and at the Owaka Community Centre, Ovenden Street, Owaka.
If you are travelling on the Owaka Highway and cannot get to your destination, feel free to call into one of the Welfare Centres for a cuppa. We are also trying to provide basic sleeping facilities.
Clutha District is expecting significant amounts of rain in the next 24 hours on top of the rain we’ve had in the last 48 hours.
Council contractors are not able to check every road, or sign every area of flooding. We ask everyone to take care on the roads, drive to the conditions, and remain vigilant for areas of water or damage on the roading network.
It is very disappointing to note that while Council roads are being signed Road Closed we are finding road users insisting on driving straight past the road closed signs and through the flood waters. Road users need to be aware that any damage done to their vehicles on closed roads is not covered by insurance and by driving through the flood waters they are causing additional unnecessary damage to already affected properties.
- Allison Road - NEW
- Barrata Creek Road
- Beggs Track Road – tree down
- Black Bridge Road (Clydevale) - NEW
- Catherwood Road
- Chapman Road
- Chloris Pass at Cairn Rd New
- Clarke Road (at Lakeside Road)
- Clutha River Rd at Hall Rd.
- Clutha Valley Road (Closed to light vehicles) - NEW
- Clydevale at Burkes Ford (Burkes Ford Rd, Clydevale Rd, MacFarlane Rd, Pomahaka Rd, Popotunoa School Rd, Ross Rd)
- Four Mile Creek Road - NEW
- Gormack Street at Moir Street
- Hunt Road (Catlins)
- Jeff Road - NEW
- Kaihiku Road
- Kakapuaka Road
- Kelso Area (Ardmore Rd, Greenvale Rd, Wooded Hill Rd, Paradise Flat Rd)
- Kilhastie Road - NEW
- Koi Flat Road
- Kuriwao Siding Road
- Lakeside Road at the rail overbridge
- Lewin St at Ross St (Balclutha)
- MacFarlane Road
- Mercer Road
- Moa Hill Road
- Miller Rd
- Pannets Road
- Pomahaka Road
- Railway Terrace (Waipahi)
- Robertson Road
- Rongahere Road (slip road across road) - NEW
- Ross Road
- Slopedown Rd is Closed from Morven Rd to the Boundary (not currently signed). Southland District Council have closed the road on their side of the boundary as well - NEW
- Station Road (Lovells Flat)
- Storer Road
- Terrace Road (West Otago)
- The Nuggets Road
- Tutu Hill Road
- Waipahi Station Road
- Waitapeka Road
- West Otago Road- NEW
- Winslade Road
- The Tuapeka Punt is closed until further notice.
Roads with surface water flooding and/or damage due to flooding:
- Allangrange Road -
- Back Road (Lawrence) – NEW
- Back Road (Milton) - NEW
- Bagrie Road/Young Road (West Otago)
- Ballantyne Road
- Barnego Road
- Breakneck Road (deeply scoured)
- Clutha River Road
- Cherry Farm/Wairuna Siding Road - NEW
- Four Mile Creek Road
- Franklin Road
- Frances Street, Baclutha
- Hazeldale Road - NEW
- Hillend Road
- Hugh Street, Owaka – NEW
- Hukarere Station Road - NEW
- Kaihiku Road
- Kaitangata Highway
- Katea Road
- King Road - NEW
- Landslip Road
- Lonsdale Road
- Mitchells Flat Road (down to one lane by a slip)
- Moore’s Beach Road
- Old Manse Road - NEW
- Owaka Highway (By Cannibal Bay Road)
- Port Molyneux Road
- Rankleburn Road (trees/slip)
- Reserve Road - NEW
- Romahapa Road
- Seddon Hill Road
- Slopedown Road
- Spylawburn Road- NEW
- Storer Road – 4WD – NEW
- Switzers Road – NEW
- Tuapeka Mouth Road – NEW
- Tokoiti Road/Toko Mouth Road - NEW
- Waiwera Station Road
- West Otago Road
- Whiteside Road
Owing to issues being caused by the current rainfall event, Clutha District Council is asking all customers on the following rural water schemes to boil any drinking water for one minute before drinking it.
This includes any water that will be consumed, such as water to brush your teeth, food preparation and washing food that will not be cooked e.g. salad vegetables and ready-to-eat fruit.
- Bio-Diversity meeting to be held in Clinton tonight by Federated Farmers/Beef+Lamb has been postponed.
Due to flooding our Hokonui Aglow meeting at the Baptist Church at 7.30pm tonight, has been cancelled.