What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
Balclutha Pipe Band is hosting their Centennial Celebrations the weekend 26-27 OCT 2019. They're putting the call out for expressions of interest. If you would like to be a part of the celebrations get in touch with Jamie on 03 418 4442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A team is organising a Dynes Family Reunion for ANZAC weekend. Anyone who is a descendant of the Dynes family is welcome to attend. A Facebook page has been set up (search Dynes Reunion 2019), or contact Tania Milne 0272086834 for more information. A fun filled weekend planned.
- Knapdale Netball Club is celebrating their 50th Jubilee the weekend of 24 & 25 August 2019. For registration forms or more information get in touch with Margie 02102612841 or email email@example.com.
- Rotary Club of Gore is running a pea straw fundraiser. $10 per bale, delivered around Gore township. Funding 240 dictionaries to Year 4 students in the Gore District. For more and to order 03 208 5741.
- The Gore Youth Awards at the St James Theatre on SAT 25 MAY, starting 7:30pm, with guest speaker Liam Malone. Tickets from iTicket. Dress to impress.
Do you know of an individual that has done something outstanding for the Clutha District community? The Clutha District Council invites people to nominate a person in their community who has shown community service above and beyond. It was decided to re-start the Clutha District Council Community Awards as the Trust power Individual Award was discontinued in 2018. To nominate an individual or for more information visit your council service centre, go online towww.cluthadc.govt.nz/forms and guides. Entries close on FRI 24 MAY.
Oyster Allsorts, a quirky museum, café, cinema and tourist information centre in Bluff has organised a "Oyster Fringe Festival". Begins THURS 23 MAY with a screening of the film, Antarctica - A Year On Ice, at 6.30pm. Tickets are $14 each. On FRI 24 MAY, two more screenings of Antarctica – A Year On Ice at 6pm and 7.45pm respectively. Meanwhile at the Bluff RSA popular local band The Salty Birds will perform from 8pm till late. On SAT 25 MAY at the Lighthouse Gallery on Gore Street from 8am to 4pm, Southland artist Michael Pemberton has an exhibition entitled Pictorialism. Into the evening after the Festival The Salty Birds play at the Eagle Hotel from 7pm to 11pm and ContraBand will be at the Bluff RSA from 6pm to 10pm. Meanwhile a 24 Hour fundraising run up, down and around Bluff Hill will be taking place from 12 noon until 12 noon the following day with proceeds towards the Bluff Hill Motoupohue Environment Trust and the Mental Health Foundation.
The City of Invercargill Highland Pipe Band Pipin' Hot Concert is on FRI 24 MAY at Civic Theatre Invercargill, 7:30pm. Joined by guest vocalists Michelle Lange, Brendan Mason, and Cheryl Anderson, the dancers and the very talented backing band. You are guaranteed a great night’s entertainment listening to some popular numbers and also some new contemporary ones that the band has enjoyed putting together. The Grade 2 band will also play their winning medley from this year’s New Zealand Pipe Band Championships and the younger members will also be performing on stage for your enjoyment. Book through TicketDirect and the venue.
The annual Bluff Oyster & Food Festival is back SAT 25 MAY. Four bands will perform on the outdoor stage throughout the afternoon following the traditional opening ceremony and Bluff School Kapa Haka Group performance that set the tone of the day. Including local lad Sam Cullen. The product of Verdon College who is currently studying at Victoria University is rated as one of this country’s hardest working young performers. A nominee for Southland Entertainer Of The Year Award, Sam will be joined by Chris Chilton of Pretty Wicked Head and Matt Ward. Tickets for the Festival have been sold out since the beginning of February. The gates to the Festival site in Lee Street, Bluff will open at 10.30am. Fun fact: Around 20,000 oysters are supplied for the event!
- Hokonui Fashion Design Award Model Auditions are on at Heartland Hotel Croydon this SUN 26 MAY. From 11:30am. Models must be 15yrs or older. Wear tidy casual clothing, females to bring heels. Also come armed with IRD number. Find more on the Hokonui Fashion Design Awards Facebook page, or call Katrina on 022 135 5191.
- Iconic music duo Dame Jools and Lynda aka the Topp Twins are in Balclutha at the War Memorial Hall SUN 26 MAY. With their "Heading for the Hills" tour. Celebrating their 40th year as performers. 7pm start. Book via TicketDirect.
- NZ Warriors Roadshow comes to Invercargill at SIT Zero Fees Velodrome on SUN 26 MAY, 5pm-7pm. Bring the kids down for a variety of activities alongside some of your favourite Warriors. Admission is free!
- A quiz night supporting Kidzway Early Learning Centre is being held MON 27 MAY at West Otago Town and Country Club, 7:30pm. Teams of 4 $20, teams of 5 $25. Funds to new resources for the kids.
After 2017's hugely successful Animals tour, which featured three entire albums, The Pink Floyd Experience returns with an exciting new show. To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Pink Floyd's album The Wall, a selection of the band's own favourites will complement a spectacular and fitting tribute to this Pink Floyd masterpiece. At Civic Theatre Invercargill on TUES 28 MAY, 8pm. Book through TicketDirect and the venue.
Eastern Southland Arthritis Support Group is again gathering TUES 28 MAY, 10am at The Stable Kitchen. Anyone of any age affected by arthritis and associated diseases most welcome for a chat. For more give Robyn Young a call 0274 969 149.
- One of the most explosive movie musicals in recent memory bursts onto the live stage with exhilarating results. Footloose is on at SIT Centrestage Invercargill from TUES 28 - THURS 30 MAY. When Ren and his mother move from Chicago to a small farming town, Ren is prepared for the inevitable adjustment period at his new high school. What he isn't prepared for are the rigorous local laws. When the Reverend's rebellious daughter sets her sights on Ren, her roughneck boyfriend tries to sabotage Ren's reputation, with many of the locals eager to believe the worst about the new kid. The heartfelt story that emerges is of a father longing for the son he lost and of a young man aching for the father who walked out on him. Book through TicketDirect and the ICC Booking Office.
- Eastern Southland Embroiderers Guild Biannual Exhibition and The Tapestry Trust of New Zealand launch of Tapestry Panels - depicting the History of New Zealand in stitch.The panels have been stitched by various Guilds in New Zealand and designed by graphic artists resident in Dunedin.The exhibition will be showing at The Eastern Southland Gallery during the month of June from SAT 1, and will be well worth a visit. Open various times, entry is free.
- The Gore Truck Show is back SAT 1 JUN. Judging at the Transport Repairs Yard on Faulkner Road from 9am. Parade departs 2pm toward Main Street. Prize giving at Traffers Tavern 4pm. Entry fee $10. Contact Rhonda Wilson 208 4433 for more or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Zealand's favourite musical trio Sol3 Mio bring their "Back to Basics" tour to Civic Theatre Invercargill on SUN 2 JUN, 7:30pm. In their most intimate and purest form - three voices and a piano - with a brand new repertoire of songs and anecdotes from their adventures around the globe over the past 12 months. Brothers Pene and Amitai Pati, and Moses Mackay. Book via TicketDirect, and the ICC booking office.
- Riversdale Arts Emerging Artists Award is a $1000 cash prize awarded on opening night of the Riversdale Art Awards 19-29 July 2019. Open to Artists under 25yrs (at 20 July 2019) who are residents of Southland. Entry is by digital image. Entry form is due to email@example.com by MON 3 JUN. Artists who are selcted will receive a complimentary ticket to opening night. Artists will be notified results by email. There will be 10 finalists - these will be judged by Jim and Marcella Geddes of the Eastern Southland Gallery. All artwork must be original and ready to hang or display if selected. Artwork that is selected is to be delivered by 5 July 2019 to Riversdale Arts, C/- Austin Bros., Newcastle Street, Riversdale. Commission on sold artwork is 30%; unsold work will be returned freight free. Limited to one entry per person. Size limit for each artwork is 1200mm x 800mm. All art mediums accepted with the exception of installations and video. Further information about the Riversdale Arts 46th Annual Exhibition at www.riversdalearts.co.nz.
- Waikaka Playgroup is hosting a fundraising movie night at the St James Theatre on WED 5 JUN, 7pm start. The movie is "Rocketman", the story of Sir Elton John. $20 for ticket and nibbles. Door sales only on the night.
CDP presents "Room on the Broom" at the Civic Theatre Invercargill FRI 7 JUN. Adapted from the award winning picture book by Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler, published by Macmillan Children’s books. How the cat purred and how the witch grinned, as they sat on their broomstick and flew through the wind. The witch and her cat are flying happily on their broomstick – until a stormy wind blows away the witch’s hat, bow and wand. A helpful dog, bird and frog find the witch’s lost things, and they all hop on the broom for a ride. But this broomstick’s not meant for five and – CRACK – the broom snaps in two! When a hungry dragon appears, who will save the poor witch? And will there ever be room on the broom for everyone? Two sessions 10am and 6pm. More and book via TicketDirect.
- Ice Sports Southland is hosting their first ever Stars on Ice Fundraiser SAT 8 JUN at the Gore Ice Rink - Gore Multisports Complex. Support local people in the community who have given their spare time to help put on this amazing show. Profits will go towards assisting Skaters Development. First show 12pm, second show 6pm. Hot food and drinks, mulled wine, and licenced bar on offer. EFTPOS available. Standard adult tickets from $20. VIP and tables on offer too. Find more and book through iTicket and the St James.
- The Owaka Swimming Baths Committee presents a mid-winter Christmas night out - Mrs Brownz Boys, the "Feck'n Tribute Show" at the Owaka Community Centre on SAT 8 JUN. Doors open 6:45pm, be seated by 7:30pm. $80pp, which includes a scrumptious 3-course dinner and 2 hours of non-stop interactive comedy, and a denim-clad DJ to shake your groove thing to! Tickets from The Black Sheep Boutique in Owaka, or online at www.dkcm.co.nz. Courtesy coach, raffles and auctions. R18 event.
- The annual South Alive Quiz Night is back at the Newfield Tavern on THURS 13 JUN, 7pm start. Come along for a fantastic night out matched with great prizes and raffles on offer. $20 for a team of 4, register on the night. If you don't have a full team come along anyway and make some new friends. South Alive uses the funds from this event to support the community with the projects and events they run. Come early and grab some dinner and a drink! For more contact Cress at the centre.
- Mataura's Got Talent is on SAT 15 JUN at The Bunker, River Street, Mataura. From 7pm. Prize money $250 for juniors, and $500 for seniors. To enter, track down the Bunker Facebook Page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Also featuring 'Chartreuse and Black'. Tickets available from The Bunker on Friday nights. $10 adults, $5 kids.
For delicious food, as well as music, dance and workshops with an international flavour, don’t miss the Hokonui Culture Feast, back at the Gore Town and Country Club FRI 28 JUN. The free family-friendly event grows in popularity each year. Doors open from 6.00pm. This year’s event will again feature international food stalls, a children’s corner and entertainment from various local community groups, as well as special guest performers on the night. Food will be available for purchase and there will be a cash bar again this year. The food stalls confirmed so far include Filipino, Asian fusion, Lebanese, Turkish and Fijian, and Malaysian. For more information or to take part in the event contact Mihaela Erdelyi email email@example.com or phone 027 652 6690.
- Balfour Lions Hay and Baleage Competition is on FRI 28 JUN at the Balfour Rugby Grounds, on Kruger Street. Auction at 4pm. BBQ, refreshments and prize giving to follow. To donate and for any queries call Olivia Ross on 027 801 7868.
- Scouts from Mataura, Edendale and Gore are set to attend Jamboree 21 at Mystery Creek Hamilton. To help get there, they are hosting a Casino Night Fundraiser on SAT 29 JUN at Mataura Community Hall, 7:30pm till 11pm. Tickets include funny money, super, auction and raffle. Cash bar, and EFTPOS available. Tickets from Hire Power Wyndham. Note this is for 18yrs and over. Early bird $25, on the night door sales $30. Just some of the prizes include an accommodation voucher, gondola/luge rides, Richard Loe signed small rugby balls, Highlands experiences and much more. For more contact Donna 027 6259188.
- St Peter's Art Expo and Auction is on at Gore Town and Country Club Stadium on SAT 29 JUN. Fundraiser for the refurbishment of the Susan Horrell Tennis Courts. 7pm-10pm. Get in touch with the school for registration forms to exhibit work for sale and to donate. Tickets also from the school. Hamish Walker MP, Mike Puru, ex student Damien McKenzie all exhibiting.