What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
The West Otago Swimming Pool Committee have gorgeous new cookbooks for sale. $40 each, grab yours from Hokonui office on Main Street, or find the stall at Field Days. Practical, well-loved recipes provided by the best cooks West Otago has to offer. Luke speaks from experience when he says it's a go-to!
- Housie is held every FRI night at the Mataura Marae. Doors open 6:30pm, starts 7:30pm. Proceeds to help towards a new kitchen. All welcome to come along and bring a friend. Nau mai haere mai! For more contact Kerry on 027 768 0471.
- "Above the Long White Cloud" is an exhibition drawn from the collection of the New Zealand Museum of the Everyday, which explores the commercial success, technological innovation and photographic artistry of Whites Aviation, and considers its impact on the New Zealand home of the 1950s, 60s and 70s. In 1945 Leo White combined his love of photography and flying to establish Whites Aviation, a company that went on to change the way many New Zealanders saw the land in which they lived. Through publications, and most importantly, the hand-coloured photographs that hung in homes and businesses around the country, Whites Aviation helped to shape the look of postwar New Zealand. As well as many examples of the beautiful scenic photographs Whites Aviation produced, the exhibition includes a photograph from 1955 showing three of the colourists hand-colouring a large photographic mural for H & J Smith’s store in Gore. The photographic mural is still there today. This exhibition has been developed by the New Zealand Museum of the Everyday and toured by the Millennium Art Gallery, Blenheim. On until SUN 23 SEPT at Eastern Southland Gallery, admission is free.
- New World Gore are proud to support SPCA Cupcake Week, selling an array of specially decorated cupcakes from MON 6 - SUN 12 AUG. For just $3 you can score a tasty treat, with $1 from each going straight to our local SPCA shelter. Buy 4 at a time and you also go in the draw to win a $50 NW gift card! 4 to be won.
- St Peter's College and Gore High School Combined Careers Expo is on THURS 9 AUG, from 5:30pm-8pm. At the Gore Town and Country Club on Bury Street. come along to look through various displays, and talk with prospective employers, industry training organisations, universities, polytechnics and more. Free for parents, students and the wider community. A fantastic opportunity to research and compare possible career options. For more contact Robyn Young at St Peter's College.
- Laser Electrical Gore High 1st XV are playing SBHS 2nd XV in the final of the Southland U18 competition on SAT 11 AUG, on Gore High School's No. 1 field, 1:15pm kick off. Supporters encouraged to come dressed in blue and gold! The Gore High crew beat Verdon College in the semi final 73-0.
South Otago Gun Club are hosting their Club Shoot SAT 11 AUG, 1pm start. Skeet, 20 Single Rise, 25 Single Rise and 30 Triples off 18 metres. All welcome. At the club ground on Glasgow Street, Balclutha.
The Catlins Coast Rally, organised by the Eastern Southland Car Club, is on SAT 11 AUG. Attracting entries from far and wide and this year one of those is Mark Parsons of Drury, south of Auckland. Another of the big names is Ray Wilson, and will start his first ever Catlins Rally in a car that carries a poignant message and was built in memory of a good friend and fellow competitor - Malcolm Stewart. The rally will begin from Owaka Motors in Campbell Street, at 10am. Competitors will tackle six high speed Special Stages over a total of 150 kilometres before the event concludes in Owaka at 3.44pm. The rally is Round 6 of the Mainland Rally Championship and part of the Eastern Southland Car Club Rally Championship. Considered by drivers a 'bucket list' one. Defending champion, Andrew Graves of Gore, is returning. Last year’s victory was his third, following wins in 2010 and 2013. He has also been runner-up twice. It’s a phenomenal record, particularly when you take into consideration that his Mitsubishi EVO 3 is the oldest car at the pointy end of the field.
- Church on the Way Garage Sale is on SAT 11 AUG at 11 Sussex Street, Tapanui. From 9am-11am. Once in a blue moon they do this. Huge array of items up for grabs, alongside a sausage sizzle, Devonshire Tea, and goodies for the kids. Donations gladly accepted by calling 204 8223 or 027 469 6698.
- Southland Hug a Rig Day returns for its 10th year on SAT 11 AUG, 12:30pm to 3:30pm. Taking people with special needs and lifelong medical conditions for a ride in a big rig, classic car or hot rod. At Hokonui Rural Transport, Aparima Street. For more check out the Facebook Page or contact Dianne 208 1758 or 027 773 2700.
Balfour Volunteer Fire Brigade are hosting a Roast, to raise funds for Ronald McDonald House in Invercargill. On SUN 12 AUG, 1pm at the Balfour Rugby Club rooms. Please book by TUES 31 JULY, bookings are essential for catering purposes. $20 per person, $50 per family. Contact Callum Black on 0211503279, or go to their Facebook page to book and for more details.
Balclutha Genealogical Society is hosting it's Research Night on THURS 16 AUG, 7 – 9pm at Balclutha Public Library, John Street, Balclutha. Research help and guidance on hand, come along and explore their resources. Enquiries Ruth 4182621.
- Clinton Young Farmers 10th annual Quiz Night is on FRI 17 AUG at the Clinton Community Centre. 7pm start, teams of 4-6, $40 per team. Includes supper platter. Cash bar and raffles on offer too. Fundraiser for the Southland/Otago Cancer Society. RSVP to Mel on 027 510 1242.
- Northern Southland College present "Emma" - a pop musical by Eric Price. One night only on FRI 17 AUG, doors open 6:30pm for 7pm start. Adults $15, students $10, family pass $40. For tickets and info contact the College office 03 248 7121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The newly formed Clutha Foundation officially launches on FRI 17 AUG at the Cross Rec Centre, 12-noon until 2pm. Everyone welcome, but please RSVP by MON 13 AUG. Speakers will include patron Sir Bill English, Bill Thomson (chair) and more. The foundation will be funded by donations from generous locals, with money raised back into the community. Find more on website www.nzcommunityfoundations.com.
- A One Night Only Variety Concert is on SAT 18 AUG at the Gore Country Club Jessie's Room (Longford Function Centre). 7:30pm start. Featuring the musical styling of Jeff Rea (fresh off his album launch "Who I Am", Mike Hood, Craig Adams, Steve Wilcox and Helen Van Der Linden. Door sales, $15 for GCM Club Members and $20 for non-members. Bar facilities. Proceeds to the club to help purchase new furniture.
- Gore Pakeke Lions 2018 Book Sale is on in Hokonui Pavilion at the Gore Showgrounds THURS 23 - SAT 25 AUG. Open Thursday night 6pm-9pm, then Friday 9am-8pm, and Sat 9am-12noon. Books, magazines, music, DVDs, jigsaws, produce. Light lunch available on Friday too. All proceeds to Gore Hospital Family Room. For more contact Pakeke Lions Secretary Doug Dixey on email@example.com.
- ANZ Gore have organised a buffet breakfast in support of Daffodil Day and the Cancer Society on FRI 31 AUG. From 7am at the Heartland Hotel Croydon, $30 per ticket. Auctions and raffles up for grabs too. Limited spaces, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can't make the brekky but would still like to support the cause, donations can be made in branch.
- Repertory Invercargill present "Blackadder Goes Forth" at Repertory House TUES 4 - SAT 8 SEPT, directed by Jason Fraser. Tickets $15-$30 from TicketDirect (fees apply). Featuring Wal from Hokonui.
- The Vodafone Workplace Challenge is back for its 6th year, offering businesses the chance to not only get more active, but to try an array of different non-physical activities too. Instead of counting minutes, participants will register their activities on a challenge board for points to be awarded. Starts MON 3 SEPT and runs for 4 weeks. For more and to register visit www.sportsouthland.co.nz.
- Gore Musical Theatre present their 2018 theatre restaurant "Take a Walk on the Wild Side", on at the Gore Town and Country Club from 1-10 Nov. Tickets on sale from SUN 16 SEPT via iTicket or the St James Theatre, $80pp. Booking fees may apply.
- The Sport Southland Ultimate Challenge kicks off THURS 18 OCT. 7 weeks, 12 team members, 7 sports. Do you have the speed, knowledge, agility and sportsmanship to be the ultimate team? Volleyball, Viperball, Fastnet Netball, Indoor Football, plus 3 surprises. $400 entry per team. For more www.sportsouthland.co.nz or email email@example.com.