What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Balclutha Pipe Band is hosting their Centennial Celebrations the weekend 26-27 OCT 2019. They're putting the call out for expressions of interest. If you would like to be a part of the celebrations get in touch with Jamie on 03 418 4442 or email [email protected]
Free Farmer Meals can be found at the Winton Presbyterian Church on Meldrum Street every WED night from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Get off the farm and enjoy a nice hot meal in a relaxing and informal atmosphere. Any farmer welcome. No bookings required, just turn up on the night. No need to get changed either, Just leave your gumboots at the door. For more you can email [email protected]
- Clutha District Methamphetamine Awareness Community Talks are being held this week at various venues across the district. TUES 17 at West Otago Community Centre, WED 16 at Lawrence Area School Library, and THURS 18 at South Otago Town and Country Club. All sessions kick off 7pm, just show up. Featuring Pat Buckley, founder of Amped4Life. Organised by the Clutha Youth Council. For more contact Jean Proctor @ Clutha Council on 419 0247.
Bit sad - After 76yrs one of the city's schools oldest traditions, the "ILT Sing Out" comes to an end. Once again, under the talented direction of Miss Sarah Rae and supported by the inimitable Dr Mike and the Rest Home Refugees, this final fling also features the fab-li-ous and highly talented award winning vocalist Michelle Lange! Be part of history with your kids as they farewell in style "ILT Sing Out - For the Final Time!". At Civic Theatre from TUES 17 - THURS 19 SEPT. Each night from 7pm. Purchase through TicketDirect.
- As part of Conservation Week 2019, join the team at the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary to help improve this beautiful space and share morning tea! A Community Planting Event on WED 18 SEPT from 10am-12pm. All are welcome. Help to plant native tussocks and shrubs at the Sanctuary to provide food and shelter for moths, butterflies, and birds. A great opportunity for the community to come together, network, and lend a hand. If you'd like to take part, please stop into the Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, phone 03 249 7924, or email [email protected] to confirm your interest and numbers. Find more on Conservation Week at www.conservationweek.org.nz.
- West Gore School Disco is on WED 18 SEPT at Calvin Community Church, 6pm-7pm. Featuring DJ Romulus. Gold coin donation. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Glow sticks and chocolate for sale. For West Gore students only.
- Balclutha Geneological Society Research Night is on THURS 19 SEPT, 7-9pm at the Balclutha Library. Trudy Milne will be available to help with Blogging and DNA. Research help and guidance on hand, come along and explore the resources. Enquiries to Ruth 4182621.
- Myross Bush School is hosting their school production "Ako's Advice" at Civic Theatre FRI 20 SEPT, 7pm. In this whole school event, the Myross Bush School mascot 'Ako the Active Learner' comes to life in order to help a struggling school student. Together they visit some magical lands to discover what can be done when learning is just too hard. Join them and other inventive and curious characters on their magical fairytale adventure! Tickets $20 adults, $10 kids. Get yours from TicketDirect or the venue.
- Kelso Kontracting is hosting a demonstration of "The Reefinator" on FRI 20 SEPT at Mathew Tayler's Property - 1195 Kingston Garston Hwy, Lorne Peak Station. From 11am until 3pm. Come and check out the REEFINATOR in action. Talk to Hamish about how it works, expectations of results, and how it can streamline farming practices at your place. Economic and efficient! Get in touch with Kelso Kontracting for more.
- Eastern Southland U13 Girls Collier Hockey team is hosting a Quiz Night this FRI 20 SEPT at the Riversdale Community Centre, 6pm start. Teams of 4/5, $25 per team. Fundraising to get to tournament in Wellington. Great prizes up for grabs. For more and to register a team contact Jo on 027 319 1277.
- Nominations for the 2019 Gore District Community Awards need to be in by this FRI 20 DEC. 8 categories. Nomination forms from goredc.govt.nz or from Council offices. The Gala Night is FRI 1 NOV at Gore Town and Country Club, from 6pm. Tickets $50 from GDC website and Gore Visitor Centre. Includes dinner. Guest speaker BMX Olympian Sarah Walker.
- Your SIT Zero Fees Southland Stags are back in action against Counties Manakau at Rugby Park Stadium on SAT 21 SEPT, 5:05pm. Antlers up and support your team. Tickets from the venue and TicketDirect. Listen to win with Luke on the Breakfast Show.
The first harness race meeting of the season at Ascot Park Raceway is on SAT 21 SEPT. Featuring Owners Day on course while New Zealand’s oldest harness racing syndicate will be celebrating a significant 50th milestone. Chance to win a horse for a day! Nine races are scheduled with the first race scheduled for 12:27pm. Admission to the course is free.
Waikato-based country entertainer, Joy Adams, will present an afternoon of great music on SAT 21 SEPT at Southland Musicians Club. With 19 albums to her credit, Joy is a Multi-Award Winning Singer/Songwriter with a natural flair for comedy and caters her shows especially for a retired audience. She was recently awarded the TASMA Entertainment Honour Roll for being a great Industry Ambassador for Country Music in Australasia. You'll hear great country music, some originals, gospel, nostalgia, older style rock 'n' roll and of course a bit of comedy. It's all about having a bit of fun. Gail Russell from Taranaki will also sing a few songs from her latest album as well. 1:30pm-3:30pm, $10 on the door. Entry includes spot prizes.
- The always popular Winton Community Market is back at Winton Presbyterian Church on Meldrum Street SAT 21 SEPT, 10am - 1pm. Enjoy the welcoming atmosphere of Winton's well established monthly market. Many unique creations are to be found among the amazing stallholders. An onsite cafe keeps your nourished while you browse and the children's play room keeps the kids entertained as well. A relaxed informal atmosphere gives the market a pleasant environment to just relax and enjoy the event. So what are you waiting for? Pop along and see whats on offer. Find more on their Facebook page here.
The 2019 Southland U15 Girls Hockey Team have been training hard all season & are heading off to the National Tournament in a few months. The team need a little support to get all the girls to the tournament turf, so they’ve organised a "Coffee and Desert" evening with Jenny Mitchell on TUES 24 SEPT, 7pm at Southland Musician's Club on Preston Street. Join for a night of stories & songs, with the added bonus of some sweet treats! Bar facilities, however won't be a late one on a school night. Doors open 6:30pm, tickets $25 from EventFinda.
- 36th annual Winton Garden Club Spring Flower Show and Art Exhibition is on FRI 27 and SAT 28 SEPT. Friday 2pm-6pm, and Saturday 9am-3:30pm in the Memorial Hall on Meldrum Street. Entries taken on THURS 26 from 11am-6pm. Entry $5, kids free. Morning and afternoon tea available. Stalls and raffles. For more call Daphne 236 7852.
- St Peter's College production of High School Musical on Stage is being held THURS 26 and FRI 27 SEPT at St James Theatre Gore, 7pm. Tickets from school office, EFTPOS available. Door sales subject to availability. Adults $15, kids $12.
- DJ Phil Invercargill presents the "I Love Lazers 80's Party" at Elmwood Function Complex on SAT 28 SEPT, 8pm til late. Was hugely popular in 2018. $25 per ticket, with light supper provided. Numbers are limited. R18 event. Supporting Parent to Parent charity. Message the DJ Phil Facebook page for more and to secure your tickets.
- Communication coach Steph Holloway is coming to Gore SAT 28 SEPT.
One of New Zealand’s best known seed companies, Barenbrug Agriseeds, is opening the gate to its new research site for southern pasture systems. Farmers from throughout Southland and Otago are welcome to come along to the special one- day event, which is being held free of charge on WED 2 OCT. As well as seeing and hearing the latest on local pasture research, those who attend will also have a chance to brush up on essential agronomy advice just in time for spring sowing. Barenbrug Agriseeds local agronomist Shannon Morton is responsible for the site, and is looking forward to sharing the information to date with farmers at the open day. Among points of interest will be the differences between a range of ryegrass and cocksfoot sowing rates 12 months after planting, and the variation in seasonal growth rates between different ryegrass cultivars. Ballance Agri-Nutrients nutrient dynamics specialist Jim Risk will discuss fertiliser recommendations, nitrogen applications, soil structure and fertility at the open day; best practice pasture establishment, weed control and weed identification will be covered by Paul Bridgman, local territory manager from Nufarm. The Barenbrug Agriseeds Pastures Systems Research Site is located on SH6 between Lorneville and Winton. The open day runs from 10am to 2pm, and a barbecue lunch will be provided. For more detail, phone Shannon Morton, 021 220 3716.
- Mataura Licensing Trust is seeking applications from students to assist with finance toward educational costs. Five scholarships valued at $1500 per year for up to 3 years are available to students who live in the MLT area. Application forms with terms and conditions can be pick up from Trust offices on Trafford Street or from your school. Applications close FRI 4 OCT.
- Kids Pace Education is hosting a Spring Fair at the Gore A+P Showgrounds on SAT 5 OCT, 11am - 2pm. Come along for a fun day out including bouncy castles, face painting and crazy hair, raffles, bake stall, sausage sizzle, games and more. Most food and activities from just $1, and only a gold coin entry! All ages welcome.
- Gore Golf Club Millennium Motors Twilight Golf series gets back into swing TUES 8 OCT. Every Tues at the Club on Reaby Road, tee off between 3:30pm and 6pm. Teams of 3, ambrose format. Social and experienced golfers more than welcome. $30 to register the team, then $2 per player each night. Weekly team prizes and raffles, and major cash prizes to be won each side of Christmas. For more and to register message the club via their Facebook page here.
- Gore Catchment Group is hosting a Winter Cropping Day on TUES 8 OCT from 10:30am - 2pm. At Andrew and Sarah Currie's farm, 220 Chamberlain Road (off Diamond Peak Road). The programme includes: What you need to know about wintering rule changes, alternative winter grazing systems, good management practices, an on-farm assessment of some paddocks to be winter cropped and more. Free BBQ lunch. For more and to register interest contact Chris Giles on 027 683 7235.
- The Southland Musicians Club is proud to induct Southland music legends Shannon Cooper Garland, Helen Lindsay Henderson, Bruce Chilton and Brad MacClure into its Hall of Fame. You can be there to share in this special night on SAT 12 OCT, from 6:30pm at the club on Preston Street. Tickets just $30 at Little Fire Musicworks. Find more here.
- Hokonui U16 Marching Team is hosting a "Drag Cabaret" fundraising night SAT 12 OCT at the Gore Town and Country Club. A night not to be missed - featuring three professional drag queens from Caluzzi Auckland. Chanelle Purser from Hokonui is the MC. Funds to get the marchers to South Island Champs in Blenheim in December, and Nationals in Auckland come March. Last year they finished top 5. Tickets $85 which includes 2 course meal, tables of 8 available. Get yours by calling 027 292 4436.
- Phillie Holmes is director behind The Pillowman, a black comedy, which is being staged at Repertory House, Invercargill WED 16 - SAT 19 OCT. The play tells the story of Katurian, a writer who was interrogated by detectives about murders that resembled the stories he had written. The cast is made up of 7 actors and one dancer.
- Eastern Southland Plunket presents a Maternal Mental Health evening on THURS 17 OCT at the Albion Rugby Club Rooms, 7:30pm. Guest speakers Maria Foy from "Happy Mum, Happy Child" and local Plunket staff. $25 on the door which includes supper. Raffle on the night with proceeds to the baby pod transporter for Gore. Pre-sale tickets $20 from Rachel on 021 051 8849.
- Knapdale School 140th Jubilee Celebrations are being held Labour Weekend SAT 26 and SUN 27 OCT. Registrations are available on the school website here, or via the Facebook event. For more get in touch with the school direct.
- Learn to make fun and delicious food for the whole family to enjoy. You will be creating wholesome family friendly dishes each week using fresh produce from ‘Love Local’. Each week take home a meal for the family (for up to four people). Learn useful cooking and budgeting tips along the way. It's happening at the Mataura Bunker, 45 River Street, Thursday afternoons on the 17th, 24th, 31st of OCT, and 7th NOV. For more information, or to enrol in this class please phone Southern REAP on 0800 111 117 or email [email protected]
- Gore Musical Theatre present their 2019 theatre restaurant, "80's Mania", at the Gore Town and Country Club Stadium. Season running from FRI 8 NOV until SAT 16. Tickets on sale now from St James Theatre or iTicket. Find more on GMT Facebook page.
- Save the date! The Southern Artisan Christmas Fete is back SAT 23 NOV at The Hideaway 201, Winton. Gate entry $15. More at www.southernfete.co.nz.
- Gore RSA is hosting Mrs Brownz Boys - the Christmas Tribute Show, on FRI 13 and SAT 14 DEC, both nights from 6pm. Featuring 2 hour show, 3 course meal and DJ until late. Tickets open to general public and only $75. Get yours from www.dkcm.co.nz. For more get in contact with venue direct.