What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
Free Farmer Meals can be found at the Winton Presbyterian Church on Meldrum Street every WED night from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Get off the farm and enjoy a nice hot meal in a relaxing and informal atmosphere. Any farmer welcome. No bookings required, just turn up on the night. No need to get changed either, Just leave your gumboots at the door. For more you can email [email protected]
- Riversdale Arts is hosting a series of upcoming workshops. Including on 15 or 16 November - A class dedicated to getting into the Christmas spirit. Paint and decorate driftwood Santas - suitable for indoors or out to bring that touch of Christmas to your home. Then on 30th November, Garden/Landscape Design with Lynne Wilson - Redesign your garden or problem area in your landscaping with Lynne Wilson who has 20 years experience as a landscape and garden designer and who is also an Ellerslie Flower Show Award winner. Also on 30th November, Wire/Copper Brazing with Rachel Hirabayashi - Rachel will introduce you to the art of wire and copper brazing and you will learn to create your own piece which could be a bird feeder or flowers. Bookings for all can be made via https://bookwhen.com/riversdalearts or via links on their Facebook page and website. www.riversdalearts.co.nz.
- Paterson Park and Garden is open every SUN, 1pm - 4pm. Find them at 167 Greenvale School Road, Greenvale, near Gore. Come and spend a relaxing afternoon soaking up the beautiful garden surrounds. Great spot for a picnic!
- The newly formed Gore Chess Club gathers every FRI night between 7pm - 9pm during the school term. At Hamilton Park. Everyone welcome, young and old, experienced and non-experienced players. Free entry, please bring a chess board if you have one. For more call Donna on 027 625 9188.
- Gore Musical Theatre present their 2019 theatre restaurant, "80's Mania", at the Gore Town and Country Club Stadium. Sure to be a great night out with many favourite songs to sing along to! Season running until SAT 16. Tickets for all shows on sale now from St James Theatre or iTicket. Find more on GMT Facebook page.
- Gore Garden Club is hosting UK speaker Rob Potterton, an international speaker from an award winning nursery. Talking on "A labor of love, 40yrs at Potterton's Nursery". On THURS 14 NOV at the Senior Citizen Rooms on Ardwick Street 8pm (following normal garden club meeting). Open to the public, $5 entry includes supper.
- Motoring Mad is back across 3 days. FRI 15 NOV features the cruise of Gore's Main Street from 7pm until 10pm. Some cars featuring is the Slingshot Dragster owned by Peter Lormans (listen for the noise), and Stephen Calder's 1938 Chevrolet four-door sedan. SAT 16 NOV sees the 200km cruise around Southland District, and BBQ lunch. And SUN 17 NOV is Show Day at Tulloch Park, Mataura. Pre-registration is a must. Full registration is cheaper this year, just $60 for all events. Just show day is $10. Registrations close 7th November. For more call Tony on 027 211 3076 or email [email protected] Fundraiser for Mataura Scouts.
Five Southern Poets is a session at Eastern Southland Gallery on SAT 16 NOV, 3pm. A special poetry reading with five published poets from Southern Aotearoa. Cilla McQueen, David Eggleton, Jenny Powell, Kay McKenzie Cooke, and Richard Reeve. Admission is free. For more call the Eastern Southland Gallery 208 9907.
- An opportunity to Experience Mandeville is back this SAT 16 NOV, from 10am - 4pm at the Croydon Aviation Centre. Aircraft/flights details will be available soon as planes may not be available due to weather dependency. But K92 will be in steam and running in the yard. Flights & rail passes will be able to be purchased on the day at the Heritage Centre Gift Shop. Miss Cocoa Cafe will be open along with Money for Wine Gifts.
Healthy Pets New Zealand is hosting a launch event on SAT 16 NOV at Fosbender Park, Invercargill, 10am. Healthy Pets New Zealand is a charity run by a team of volunteer vet professionals who raise money to fund research into the big health and welfare challenges for Kiwi pets. Research funded by HPNZ includes an investigation into patterns of antibiotic use in pets, and a canine hip dysplasia project that led to an improved diagnostic tool and better breeder education. The charity is led by Southland-based Dr Cath Watson. The launch promises to be a fun-filled event, including a gold donation dog walk, followed by a BBQ with spot prizes for dogs - we’re inviting the pet owning public of Invercargill to attend. One shorter course, one longer course. All dogs must be on a leash. Remember to bring water and a poop scoop. There’ll be a poop drop-off at the parking area. Veterinary nurse students from SIT will be on hand to help with any issues on the day.
After their opening meeting of the season last Sunday, harness racing action returns to Young Quinn Raceway in Wyndham this SUN 17 NOV. Highlights include the opening heat of the Southern Belle Speed Series supported by the Southern Standardbred Breeders Assn plus the Hunter Family Pace. Ten races are programmed with the first at 12.12pm and the last at 5.24pm. Admission to the course is free.
- The Winton Open Day is on SUN 17 NOV, from 10am. Featuring the country marketeers craft and produce market. Great shopping, live street entertainment, Santa photos, kids activities, street parade, multi cultural food festival, free face painting, balloons and more. A fantastic day out.
- South Otago Theatre Society presents "Ladies for Hire", a show by Alison Quigan. Being staged at the SOTS George Street Theatre from THURS 21 NOV - SUN 1 DEC. Various evening and matinee show times to choose from. Father Peter, the parish priest, is played by Neil Cullen. Ladies for hire in HIS parish?? $30 adults, $20 seniors, $10 high school students. Ask about pre-ordering a nibbles platter. Book via Johnstone Electrical, or save with limited early bird tickets available by emailing Donna on [email protected]
- The Thomas Green is hosting a fundraiser for Rural Mental Health and Suicide Awareness on FRI 22 NOV, 6pm. Buffet $60, door sales $10. Hosted by Ramblin Rosie's and featuring entertainment from 2019 Gold Guitar winner Jaydin Shingleton and Trans-Tasman Entertainer of the Year Arun O'Connor. Live auction and raffles. Tickets from the venue. Proceeds to Southland Rural Support Trust.
- The 106th annual West Otago Show is on SAT 23 NOV at the Tapanui Showgrounds. Gates open from 9am. Find all details here.
- You're invited to 'Ceilidh' (pronounced kaylee) - an evening at the Scottish Hall, Invercargill on SAT 23 NOV. Featuring Queenstown band "The Hair of the Dog", the ILT City of Invercargill Highland Pipe Band, Highland dancers, haggis, whisky tasting, supper, auctions and more. From 7:30pm until late. Tickets just $35 for adults, family of 4 $100. Get yours from Waikiwi Vets on North Road, or Baillie and Lewis Pharmacy on Martin Street. A fundraiser for the Invercargill Highland Pipe Band ahead of the city hosting the nationals in March 2020.
After eight years, Heart Kids Southland’s renowned Milford Sound to Invercargill Charity Ride is being replaced with a new annual fundraiser. The first nine-hour ‘Bingo Ride’ event will take place at Teretonga Park SAT 23 NOV. It offers participants the unique chance to lap the circuit on bicycles while completing bonus tasks on a Bingo card for prizes. An event to create greater awareness around the congenital heart defects which affect 12 new babies every week in New Zealand. The event is the first of its kind in Southland and is set to be family friendly with live music, children’s entertainment and food stalls. Find more on the Heart Kids Southland Facebook page, and tickets can be booked at www.trybooking.co.nz/CIX. All funds raised will go towards helping Heart Kids Southland provide practical and emotional support to around 120 affiliated families in the region.
- Gore RSA's Kids Christmas Party is on again SUN 24 NOV at the RSA on Bowler Ave, from 1:30pm until 3:30pm. An afternoon of free entertainment for members children aged up to 10 years of age. Registrations through the RSA Facebook page or via form in Club foyer.
- Southland Summer Challenge is back SUN 24 NOV, from 7am around Heartland Hotel Croydon. Southland's lead up to Challenge Wanaka, this event features a variety of events with events to suit most reasonably fit people. There are excellent spot prizes for sections and categories. If you're not quite up to taking part, come and cheer the competitors on! The events are: 76.5km Challenge: 1500m swim, 60km bike, 14km run; Sprint Triathlon: 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run; Junior Triathlon (Under 16) - Southland Champs: 200m swim, 9km bike, 2km run; Duathlon: 200m run, 20km bike, 5km run; Coast to Coast Buildup: 14km kayak, 1km run, 40km bike, 10km run; Open Water Swim: 1500m swim; Adventure Race: 6hrs - pack raft, mountain bike, trekking. Organised by the Southland Triathlon and Multisport Club. Find more and register here.
- Winton Country Marketeers Craft and Produce Market is part of Winton Open Day on SUN 17 NOV, from 10am - 3:30pm. At Winton Memorial Hall. Over 50 quality stalls, live street entertainment and professional Santa photos. Free face painting and balloon animals for the kids. Christmas wreath display. Admission is free.
Guy Williams “Some places in the central North Island and most of the South Island" Tour 2019 is coming to Repertory House Invercargill on WED 20 NOV, and Little Theatre Gore THURS 21 NOV, 7:30pm start. Billy T Award-Winning Comedian Guy Williams is back! “This year I want to do a political show (here's the catch) that doesn't suck. I know that sounds impossible, and I can't promise that I will achieve this amazing goal, but I'll give it a good shake because we've all got to do something to fill in the time before we die.” Tickets available from Eventfinda unless listed otherwise. Ticket prices are “Pay what you can” ranging from $10 - $43. (May include fees).
- Balclutha Genealogical Society is hosting a Research Night on THURS 21 NOV at Balclutha Library on John Street. From 7pm - 9pm. Trudy Milne will be on hand to help with blogging and DNA. Come along for guidance and to explore the resources. Enquiries to Ruth 418 2621.
- The Women Inspiring Women Not Conference is on FRI 22 NOV at Transport World, 1pm - 5pm. An opportunity to learn, engage and connect. Speakers include Jackie Clark, Tania Kura, Joc O'Donnell and Rebecca Keoghan. For more and to register get in touch with Southland Chamber of Commerce.
- Save the date! The Southern Artisan Christmas Fete is back SAT 23 NOV at The Hideaway 201, Winton. Gate entry $15. More at www.southernfete.co.nz.
- Northern Southland Cycle and Celebrate Event is on SUN 24 NOV at Five Rivers Retreat, part of Get Outdoors Week. Returning for the fourth year, this annual race is a 15km course from Fiver Rivers to Lumsden along the Around The Mountains Cycle Trail. This is a fantastic off-road track which is perfect for the whole family & avid cyclist. Not a cyclist... don't worry! They're also hosting a variety of market stalls, food stalls, music, entertainment, a children's area and lots more at the finish line in Lumsden. There's something for the whole family. More info and tickets via the website here. Online registration closes WED 20 NOV.
- West Otago Young Farmers is hosting a Quiz Night on MON 25 NOV at West Otago Town and Country Club, 7:30pm start. All proceeds going to Shaun Bradley's family. Teams of four, $40 per team. Sign up on the night.
- Gore Counselling Centre is hosting a movie night fundraiser at the SBS St James Theatre Gore on THURS 28 NOV. Featuring the highly anticipated "Frozen 2" from 5:30pm. Adult tickets $20, $12.50 for kids up to age 13. Get yours from the Counselling Centre on Traford Street, or limited door sales on the night. Don't miss a FREE ice cream from 5:15pm prior to the show on presentation of your ticket.
The Balfour Home and School are holding a fundraiser on SAT 30 NOV. Rock the Ridge - Sheas Road, Longridge North Balfour. Signposted from Balfour and Lumsden. Run, walk or Mountain Bike varying distances, and there's even a kids duathlon! For more information and to pre-register see their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/rocktheridgebalfour/. All those who pre-register have the chance to win a prize pack from Cross Road Cycles valued $250! The event starts at 10am with registrations opening at 8.30am.
- Mr Yipadee is the UK's leading children's entertainer and author of top selling children's books, fun laughter, music guaranteed. He is at the West Otago Community Centre on MON 2 DEC, 9:30am. Gold coin at the door. Photos and signings after the show. No bookings required. For more get in touch with the Tapanui or Balclutha Library.
- Gore Santa Parade and Christmas in the Park is back SUN 8 DEC.
After sellout shows in the North Island, New Zealand rock legends The Narcs take their Unplugged Tour to the south. This is a chance for the band to pull back the veil, strip things down and explore the many hidden songs from The Narcs' back catalogue and side projects – as well as the hits. 2020 marks the band’s 40th anniversary. At the Southland Musicians Club on THURS 12 DEC. Exclusive only 70 tickets available! Early bird tickets $33.75, general admission $38.88 (from 1 December). Find more and book now at www.eventfinda.co.nz.
- Gore RSA is hosting Mrs Brownz Boys - the Christmas Tribute Show, on FRI 13 and SAT 14 DEC, both nights from 6pm. Featuring 2 hour show, 3 course meal and DJ until late. Tickets open to general public and only $75. Get yours from www.dkcm.co.nz. For more get in contact with venue direct.
- Tapanui Racing Club is celebrating 150yrs with the Dynes Transport $55,000 Tapanui Cup at Gore Racecourse on SUN 22 DEC. Mini marquee and hospitality packages available. For more email [email protected]