What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Balclutha Pipe Band is hosting their Centennial Celebrations the weekend 26-27 OCT 2019. They're putting the call out for expressions of interest. If you would like to be a part of the celebrations get in touch with Jamie on 03 418 4442 or email [email protected]
Free Farmer Meals can be found at the Winton Presbyterian Church on Meldrum Street every WED night from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Get off the farm and enjoy a nice hot meal in a relaxing and informal atmosphere. Any farmer welcome. No bookings required, just turn up on the night. No need to get changed either, Just leave your gumboots at the door. For more you can email [email protected]
- Federated Farmers Southland is hosting a session for business owners and non-farmers to find out why the Essential Freshwater Plan is causing so much fuss. Federated Farmers supports the need for sustainable practices to ensure the future of our waterways. However, they believe this Plan will have a severely detrimental impact on the economy without the intended benefits to water. Come along to hear why that is, their position, and ask any questions. At the Invercargill Workingmen's Club MON 14 OCT, 7pm - 8:30pm. And in Gore at Heartland Hotel Croydon on WED 16 OCT, 1pm - 2:30pm. No charge, no RSVP required. These events are not targeted at farmers, but they are welcome to attend.
- Meat processor Alliance Group will host several roadshows in the South. Shareholders, suppliers and rural professionals are welcome to hear from management and directors on the performance of the co-op at this annual event. They will also receive an update on the progress of Alliance's strategy and prospects for the new season. There will be opportunity to ask questions. The roadshow stops in Milton at Coronation Hall on MON 14 OCT, 7:30pm. Then to the Heriot Community Centre on TUES 15 OCT, 1:30pm. Also on Tuesday at Longford Function Centre in Gore at 7:30pm. On WED 16 OCT at Mossburn Community Centre at 1:30pm, before the evening session at Tokanui Golf Club, 7:30pm. It wraps up on THURS 17 OCT at the Waiau Town and Country Club, 1:30pm, and Midlands Rugby Club in Winton at 7:30pm. Visit www.alliance.co.nz for more.
- Phillie Holmes is director behind The Pillowman, a black comedy, which is being staged at Repertory House, Invercargill WED 16 - SAT 19 OCT. The play tells the story of Katurian, a writer who was interrogated by detectives about murders that resembled the stories he had written. The cast is made up of 7 actors and one dancer.
- Eastern Southland Plunket presents a Maternal Mental Health evening on THURS 17 OCT at Heartland Hotel Croydon, 7:30pm. Guest speakers Maria Foy from "Happy Mum, Happy Child" and local Plunket staff. $25 on the door which includes supper. Raffle on the night with proceeds to the baby pod transporter for Gore. Pre-sale tickets $20 from Rachel on 021 051 8849.
- Touch Rugby is making a return to Eastern Southland for the first time in 4 years. The area has a huge primary school competition with about 60 teams in it. This competition is designed for secondary school students and adults. Will involve mixed teams. Will be played at Newman Park on Thursday nights, beginning THURS 17 OCT. To register for the competition and find more head to www.touchsouthland.co.nz.
- Balclutha Genealogical Society is hosting a Research Night on THURS 17 OCT, 7pm - 9pm. Legacy help with Jane. At Balclutha Library on John Street. Research help and guidance on hand. Come and explore the resources. Enquires to Ruth on 418 2621.
- As a fundraiser for Otago Shears, join Ken Payne as he talks on his journey from Clutha District Councillor to Manager of the 2019 NZ World Shearing and Woolhandling team on FRI 18 OCT. At the South Otago Town and Country Club, from 7pm. Live music and supper included. Also an auction will be held with your chance to scoop a bar leaner, a Stihl voucher, and an accommodation voucher. Just $20 per ticket. Please RSVP by SAT 12 OCT to 418 1522.
- Eastern Women's Rugby is hosting a Quiz Night on FRI 18 OCT at the Albion Clubrooms, doors open 7pm. Open bar and supper provided. Teams of 4-6, $40 per team entry. Raffles and auctions on offer.
- A movie fundraiser of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is on at the St James Gore FRI 18 OCT.
- A Charity Quiz Night is being held SAT 19 OCT at Ascension Church, 150 Don Street Invercargill, 7pm start. $20 for teams of four, all funds raised to St John Southland. Great prizes, raffles and spot prizes on offer including accommodation vouchers and dinner for two at Emberz, Ascot Park Hotel. Register online at ascensionchurch.org.nz/quiz.
- Auditions for the 2019 ILT Christmas Variety Show are being held from SAT 19 OCT. Once again they are looking for star soloists and entertaining groups of all ages. Auditions for rising stars (5-15yrs) on SAT 19, for Open (16+) on SUN 20, and callbacks if required on TUES 22. If interested get in touch with Stadium Southland on 219 9310 or download a form from www.stadiumsouth.co.nz. You must fill out a form prior to auditions.
- The 26th Gore Rhododendron Festival is on SUN 20 OCT in the Gore Public Gardens, 11am - 4pm. Entry is free. Children's entertainment includes "Magic Max" with two shows (11:30am and 2:30pm), balloon twisting display, bouncy castle, mini jeeps, bumper balls. Also a great LEGO display at St Andrew's Church across the road. Plant stalls, food stalls, and craft stalls a plenty. Woodwork and outdoor furniture always a popular hit. Home baking also. Raffles on offer. For more contact festival secretary Jayne on 027 369 4992.
- As part of the above, Gore River Valley Lions Club has organised a fundraising cake stall at the Rhododendron Festival on SUN 20 OCT. All proceeds will go to the Child Mobility Foundation to purchase Heart Walkers for disabled children. Also including a raffle and lollies in the jar. Please support them.
- Mataura Pony Club is hosting a movie fundraiser of "Ride Like a Girl" on THURS 24 OCT at the St James Theatre, 7pm start. Drinks and nibbles from 6:30pm. Adult tickets $20, under 12s $16.
Lincoln University is hosting an event for parents and high school students in Southland. Are you a Southlander considering heading to uni next year? Get all your ducks in a row and come along to the Lincoln Line Up. On THURS 24 OCT at ILT Stadium Southland, between 6:30pm and 8:30pm. You'll hear from LU graduates, learn about your course options and get all your questions answered. The event will be held in the Legends Lounge. Register at https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/e/the-lincoln-line-up-tickets-75620955313 and checkout the Facebook event. Attendance is free.
- Knapdale School 140th Jubilee Celebrations are being held Labour Weekend SAT 26 and SUN 27 OCT. The school was the third to open in Gore District. The celebrations begin on Saturday 2pm at the school, followed by a dinner at Gore Town and Country Club that night. The next morning back at the school 11am to dig up a time capsule buried in 2004. A new one will be buried. Registrations are available on the school website here, or via the Facebook event. For more get in touch with the school direct.
- Fiordland Arts Society is back hosting the annual Multi Media Art Exhibition at the Fiordland Community Events Centre over Labour Weekend. Open to the public SAT 26 and SUN 27 from 10am - 5pm, and on MON 28 from 10am - 3pm. Afternoon tea and musical entertainment from 2pm - 4pm on the Saturday. Beverages and finger food supplied. $4 entry per person, children free. Find more on the Facebook page here.
- Tulip Day is back Labour Day MON 28 OCT at Triflor NZ, 390 Edendale Seaward Downs Road. From 10am - 4pm. Order bulbs from the displayed tulips on the day, explore the craft stalls, children's activities, food and BBQ running all day. EFTPOS available. A fundraiser for Edendale Presbyterian Church, Lions Club, and Edendale Scouts. For more call Jean on 206 6533.
South Otago A & P Society Show Queen entry forms are available from Zouave Hair Salon on Clyde Street Balclutha. Entries close WED 30 OCT. Any questions from interested contestants please call or text Ingrid Keating 0275510847.
- Calvin Church Gore is back hosting the always popular Angels and Heroes Light Party on THURS 31 OCT. Two sessions, 4:30pm and 6:30pm. A free, fun alternative to Halloween for families with children up to school age Year 6. Fun, games, food, prizes, entertainment. Face painting and bouncy castles. Kids can come dressed as an angel or hero (no Halloween costumes please). All children must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets are free, but limited. First in first served at Manna Book Store or Cross Road Cycles, Main Street. All who attend must have a ticket. Find more at www.calvin.org.nz.
- 5 weeks, 12 team members, 5 different sports. Sport Southland is back with the Ultimate Challenge, starting THURS 31 OCT. Featuring dodgeball, pickleball, fastnet netball, indoor football and one secret surprise. $300 entry per team, a great options for workplaces. Spaces strictly limited. For more and to register visit www.sportsouthland.co.nz or email [email protected]
- Each year the Pioneer Women's Memorial Trust offers two educational bursaries, valued at $750 each, to students who are contemplating tertiary education or a trade apprenticeship. They are available to present pupils of Gore High, St Peter's, Blue Mountain and Menzies Colleges. Application forms available from Gore Council offices. Applications close FRI 1 NOV.
- Learn to make fun and delicious food for the whole family to enjoy. You will be creating wholesome family friendly dishes each week using fresh produce from ‘Love Local’. Each week take home a meal for the family (for up to four people). Learn useful cooking and budgeting tips along the way. It's happening at the Mataura Bunker, 45 River Street, Thursday afternoons on the 17th, 24th, 31st of OCT, and 7th NOV. For more information, or to enrol in this class please phone Southern REAP on 0800 111 117 or email [email protected]
- Balfour Lions Annual Guy Fawkes Carnival is back SAT 2 NOV at the Balfour Racecourse. Always a popular fixture, was a stunning night in 2018. Gates open 6.30pm. Kids entertainment, Food stalls, Coffee cart, Competitions, Live music, and of course the spectacular fireworks display. Great family night out. Just $10 at the gate, kids U12 free. For more call Balfour Lions 0278017868.
- To celebrate 50yrs of the Heriot Playgroup (formerly Playcentre), a Community Family Fun Day is being held SAT 2 NOV, from 3pm. Come along to the Heriot Community Centre for a bunch of activities including merry-go-round, bouncy castle, bumper ball, obstacle course, face painting, lolly scramble from a fire engine, chocolate wheel, temporary tattoos and more. All activities and games are free! A great selection of food trucks and live music to enjoy. For more check out the Community Family Fun Day event on Facebook.
- Heriot Golf Club is hosting a 27 Hole Mixed Tournament on SUN 3 NOV, 10:30am tee off. 2 players per team - men, ladies and mixed. Great prizes including 1/4 processed cattle beast and monster raffle. Lunch provided on course, and evening meal afterwards. Entry $60 per team. Get yours in by FRI 1 NOV by email [email protected] or to Julian on 204 2352.
- A 5km recreational family walk through the Glenham Historic Railway Tunnel is on SUN 3 NOV. Take a stroll through the tunnel and complete the 5km track on farmland, followed by free afternoon tea! Disability access available. Mountain buggies and children's bikes are welcome. No dogs. Register on the day at Glenham Hall between 1pm - 2:30pm for directions. $10 adults, $5 school age kids, $30 family. Cash only, no EFTPOS. A fundraiser for Wyndham Museum.
- Gore Musical Theatre present their 2019 theatre restaurant, "80's Mania", at the Gore Town and Country Club Stadium. Season running from FRI 8 NOV until SAT 16. Tickets on sale now from St James Theatre or iTicket. Find more on GMT Facebook page.
- MLT and Wyndham Community Pool presents the 2019 Fireworks Extravaganza on FRI 8 NOV at Wyndham Racecourse. Gates open 7pm, display 10pm. $5 entry per person, preschoolers are free. Come along for food, entertainment and fun! Family friendly event so no alcohol is permitted. In support of the community pool. Cancellation date is Fri 15 Nov, will be advised on Facebook and Hokonui.
- As part of ILT's 75th birthday celebrations, the trust has partnered with XO Church to hose a free community carnival at ILT Stadium Southland the weekend SAT 9 and SUN 10 NOV. More than 120 volunteers will oversee activities including laser tag, bubble ball, bouncy castles, dunking booths, mini golf, crafts, sporting challenges, face painting and more. ILT staff and families will have exclusive access to the carnival. For the general public, pop by between 1pm - 5pm on Saturday, and 1pm - 4pm on Sunday.
- Beyond the Gate Garden Tour is on SUN 10 NOV. Explore the unique gardens of Gore. $15 per person (pay on day), includes Devonshire Tea. Collect ticket and map from 10:30am at Hokonui Pavilion, Gore Showgrounds. Wrapped up by 2pm. Find more on the Gore A&P Facebook page or website.
- The Gore District Council tertiary scholarships will increase to $1,000 this year. Applications are now open for the two scholarships. An initiative of the Gore District Youth Council, this is the seventh year the scholarships have been offered. The scholarships were previously valued at $750. Applications are open to school leavers, aged 19 years or under, from the Gore District who are commencing study in a Council relevant area. The scholarship also provides an opportunity for paid work experience with the Council during holiday breaks. Applications close MON 11 NOV. Scholarship criteria and an application form can be found on the Council’s website www.goredc.govt.nz.
- Gore Garden Club is hosting UK speaker Rob Potterton, an international speaker from an award winning nursery. Talking on "A labor of love, 40yrs at Potterton's Nursery". On THURS 14 NOV at the Senior Citizen Rooms on Ardwick Street 8pm (following normal garden club meeting). Open to the public, $5 entry includes supper.
- Gore RSA's Kids Christmas Party is on again SUN 24 NOV at the RSA on Bowler Ave, from 1:30pm until 3:30pm. An afternoon of free entertainment for members children aged up to 10 years of age. Registrations through the RSA Facebook page or via form in Club foyer.
- Winton Country Marketeers Craft and Produce Market is part of Winton Open Day on SUN 17 NOV, from 10am - 3:30pm. At Winton Memorial Hall. Over 50 quality stalls, live street entertainment and professional Santa photos. Free face painting and balloon animals for the kids. Christmas wreath display. Admission is free.
- Save the date! The Southern Artisan Christmas Fete is back SAT 23 NOV at The Hideaway 201, Winton. Gate entry $15. More at www.southernfete.co.nz.
- Gore Santa Parade and Christmas in the Park is back SUN 8 DEC.
After sellout shows in the North Island, New Zealand rock legends The Narcs take their Unplugged Tour to the south. This is a chance for the band to pull back the veil, strip things down and explore the many hidden songs from The Narcs' back catalogue and side projects – as well as the hits. 2020 marks the band’s 40th anniversary. At the Southland Musicians Club on THURS 12 DEC. Exclusive only 70 tickets available! Early bird tickets $33.75, general admission $38.88 (from 1 December). Find more and book now at www.eventfinda.co.nz.
- Gore RSA is hosting Mrs Brownz Boys - the Christmas Tribute Show, on FRI 13 and SAT 14 DEC, both nights from 6pm. Featuring 2 hour show, 3 course meal and DJ until late. Tickets open to general public and only $75. Get yours from www.dkcm.co.nz. For more get in contact with venue direct.
- Tapanui Racing Club is celebrating 150yrs with the Dynes Transport $55,000 Tapanui Cup at Gore Racecourse on SUN 22 DEC. Mini marquee and hospitality packages available. For more email [email protected]