What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
- Milton Bridge Club on FRI 7 DEC is hosting their prize-giving, and celebrating 40yrs of affiliation to NZ Bridge. All ex/past and current members are welcome. Please contact Jo on 0242084426, Ann 02474173045 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. For catering purposes, they must confirm numbers by 29th November.
Ice Sports Southland presents "The Wizard of Oz on Ice" at Gore Multisports Complex on FRI 7 and SAT 8 DEC. Over 30 local skaters have spent the last 3 months bringing it together. $10 a ticket from iTicket and the venue, also on the door. Friday at 7pm and Saturday 12pm and 7:30pm.Funds raised going back into the development of the figure skaters at Ice Sports Southland.
The Gore Kids Hub is hosting a Triathlon for kids aged 2–5 years old on SAT 8 DEC. At the Kids Hub grounds and Rec Reserve area between the Gore Multisports Complex. They are going to have a big blow up finishing chute. From 10am – 12.30pm. An estimated 120 preschool kids involved, best of luck!
The Invercargill Harness Racing Club host their pre-Christmas meeting at Ascot Park Raceway in Invercargill SAT 8 DEC. On course the highlight is the first Fast Track Insurance 2.5k Added Stakes Handicap Pace in the region. Call into The Fantasy Lounge on the first floor of the public grandstand during the day and go into the draw to win one of 4 $50 betting vouchers courtesy of race sponsor Fast Track Insurance. The meeting, timed to start at 12.02pm, will feature a relaxed kiwi style picnic atmosphere with the club encouraging a picnic atmosphere at the event for punters to enjoy a respite from the Christmas rush. A $50 Level One Restaurant & Bar meal voucher will go to one lucky punter after a draw of all losing tickets after Race 6 while all children on course will receive a free bag of lollies after Race 6 also. The last of ten races is timed to start at 4.58pm.
- Jeremy Corbett and the 7 Days Live team come to the Civic Theatre Invercargill on SAT 8 DEC, 7:30pm. Adult tickets $54 inc BF. For more and to book visit TicketDirect or the ICC Booking Office.
The Kiwiana Christmas Festival and Market is on SAT 8 DEC, 10am - 2pm. A full line-up of local performers - from the Te Uki Ou Cook Islands Drumming group to Invercargill’s very own Rock n Roll dancers – will be coming along. Also a local juggler, hula hooping, and stilt walkers along with the ever popular bouncy castles. You can satisfy your inner shopaholic with more than 30 market stalls including local products like handmade clothes, jewellery, toys, knitting, baking, natural beauty products, and of course we’ll have an array of food vendors to delight your tastebuds. Applications are still open for stallholders, but will close at 5pm FRI 30 NOV. Application forms are available on ICC's website.
- A book "Shot Over into the Shotover - Lessons from a New Zealand Air Accident" is being launched as part of 75th anniversary celebrations of a de Havilland aircraft housed at Croydon Aviation Centre. On SAT 8 DEC at the centre in Mandeville, starting 2pm. Joyrides will be available in the aircraft and in a tiger moth. The book documents an usual happening in the 1960s.
- Gore District Santa Parade and Christmas in the Park is on again SUN 9 DEC. The parade is down Main Street from 12-noon. Voting for people's choice. The Christmas in the Park concert is in the Gore Gardens following from 12:30pm - 3pm.
Laura Barton Benefit Concert is on SUN 9 DEC, 7:00pm, at the James Cumming Theatre. Admission $15 per adult, 10 concession, 30 per family (cash door sales only). Laura Barton is an accomplished young violinist from Gore. She studied the violin at Victoria University where she received a first class honours degree. Since that time she has been studying in Australia in 2 degree programmes at: the Australian National Academy of Music in Melbourne and for the Master’s in Violin Performance at Griffith University in Brisbane. Laura is a member of the Tasman Trio which will be touring NZ next year. Laura’s concert in her home town will involve several local guest performers. Any profits from Laura’s concert will go toward funding her studies.
Waimea Plains Vintage Tractor and Machinery is holding their annual Christmas Parade on SUN 9 DEC at Riversdale, starting 2.30pm. Lolly scramble for the kids during the parade, afternoon tea at club rooms to follow. All welcome.
- THE ALPACA SOCIAL CLUB is coming to Gore, launching their new album and playing ‘the music they love from wherever that comes from’, including influences of Celtic, Balkan, Middle Eastern, Reggae, Soul, Americana and Gypsy swing origins. Jon Sanders and Craig Denham. At the Eastern Gallery WED 12 DEC, 7:30pm. Adults $25, students $10. Book at the Eastern Southland Gallery, tel 03 208 9907, email email@example.com.
Venture Southland is supporting consultants from Principals Brand as they undertake community workshops for the "Southland Story" project. Anyone with a connection with the wider Gore community – and understanding the stories that exist would be great to include. They are in Gore on WED 12 DEC, at 3pm – at the James Cumming Wing. You can register either on the site https://southlandstory.nz/.
- A Seniors Concert is being held FRI 14 DEC at St Andrew's Church, 2pm. Gold coin donation. Great entertainment followed by a cracker afternoon tea. All welcome!
Camp Colomba is hosting a Pre-Christmas day program, the week before Christmas MON 17 - FRI 21 DEC, during school hours (from 8.30am-3.30pm). It’ll be a great way for families to bridge the gap between school finishing and the Christmas break. The theme is Dinosaurs and there will be heaps of day trips, fun, games & activities, adventures, good food etc. More information and registration is through their website www.campcolumba.org.nz.
- 9th Kaka Point annual Beach Market Day is on SAT 12 JAN, 9am-2pm. Over 60 stalls and car boot sales, showcasing everything from clothing, to plans, to jewelry. Pony rides and face painting for the kids. Coffee. Live music by the garden bar. Bring cash, no EFTPOS available. For more contact Pauline Simpson firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The annual Glenham Trainwreck Trail is on again SAT 19 JAN 2019, from 10am. A fantastic sports event around Glenham that shows off the views of Southland. All tracks pass through the Historic Glenham Railway Tunnel. There’s a range of events:
10km walk / Run / Mountain Bike
21km Run / Mountain Bike
43km Mountain Bike
Also a recreational 10km E-Bike
The 10km events are for 8 yrs + and 21 / 43km events for 14yrs +
Come along bring your friends or workmates for a challenge or just a social catch up with a bonus!
Register on the day at Glenham Community Hall at 10am or online at
www.glenhamtrainwreck.co.nz. From $15. BBQ food available, Mad Cow coffee cart, and spot prizes! No Eftpos Available- CASH / CHEQUE ONLY. This is a fundraiser for Glenham School and Glenham Community Hall. For more email Jeanette email@example.com.