What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
Gore Wanderers FC is on the hunt for new players for the up and coming season. They are having a pre-season kick around on Thursdays, starting this THURS 24 FEB, 6:30pm, at Gore's Hyde Park. All new and existing players welcome. All grades, social or competitive, men and women. They are also still looking for a head coach for the premier men's team, and those interested in coaching or support roles for all grades. For all inquiries, contact Gene Peters on 0276007404, or contact through the Facebook page; Gore Wanderers AFC.
- Gore Musical Theatre is hosting a huge clear out of retro/vintage attire, fabric, wedding dresses, buttons, zips and much more! At the Ace of Spades (down the Westpac driveway) on Mersey Street, SAT 26 JAN from 11am-2pm. Bring along friends and family for a look and to nab a bargain.
- Harness racing action with the Invercargill Harness Racing Club on SAT 26 FEB, featuring the Ascot Park Hotel Invercargill Cup. Win a seven night stay at the Peninsular Beachfront Resort in Mooloolaba plus $1000 towards your airfares courtesy of Beach Road Holiday Park. A losing ticket draw after Race 6 will win one previously unlucky punter a $50 meal voucher courtesy of Level One Restaurant & Bar. To win any of these great prizes and more, you must be on course on the day and be 18 years of age and over. Entry details on the Facebook page - Southern-Harness-Racing. Admission on the day is free, as is the children’s entertainment which consists of a bouncy castle, bumper balls, kids tote, sack races and more while there will be a free bag of lollies for every child on course after Race 6. Gates open 11am, racing 12pm.
- The Edendale Crank Up is back at the Edendale Rec Grounds SAT 26 and SUN 27 JAN, gates open 10am. Find more here.
- The 62nd Annual Southland Rodeo is on SAT 2 FEB at 436 Dunns Road - Oreti Beach, 12pm start. Adults $15, kids U-16 just $5. Family pass available too. No BYO, no glass and no dogs. Find more on Facebook here.
- The 137th Gore A+P Show is on SAT 2 FEB at the Gore Showgrounds. Find more here.
- Gore and Districts Kennel Association present their 2019 All Breeds Dog Show, at the Gore Showgrounds SAT 2 and SUN 3 FEB. Around 100 different breeds of dogs will be judged for Best in Show by the 3 international judges - 2 from Australia, and 1 from Tailand. This is a great opportunity for the public to come and view purebred pedigree dogs and speak with owners and breeders if they are thinking of purchasing a family member in the future. From 8:30am-5pm Sat, and 8:30am-3pm Sun. Entry is free. For more contact Lois Butler on 03 2071717.
The 13th annual Burt Munro Challenge is back WED 6 - SUN 10 FEB. Seven racing events over four days, the largest motorcycle rally in the southern hemisphere.
PROGRAMME OF EVENTS
HAVE A GO DAY
8.30am - Wednesday 6 February
Teretonga Park, Sandy Point
BURT MUNRO RALLY
9.00am - Thursday 7 – Sunday 10 February
Oreti Park, Dunns Road, Otatara
CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE MECCA NZ HILL CLIMB CHAMPS
10.00am – Thursday 7 February
Flagstaff Road, Bluff
HIREPOOL TWILIGHT DRAG RACING
6.00pm - Thursday 7 February
Teretonga Park, 86 Sandy Point Road
INDIAN MOTORCYCLE NZ BEACH RACING CHAMPS
10.00am - Friday 8 February
Oreti Beach, Invercargill
E HAYES & SONS TERETONGA CIRCUIT RACES
9.00am – Saturday 9 February
Teretonga Park, 86 Sandy Point Road
ORETI PARK SPEEDWAY SPECTACULAR
4.00pm – Saturday 9 February
Oreti Park Speedway. Pit Road, Oreti 9879
HONDA INVERCARGILL STREET RACES
9.00am – Sunday 10 February
Bill Richardson Drive, Invercargill
Find more and purchase tickets here.
- Big River Raft Race is back SAT 9 FEB, launching from Begg's Beach Clydevale (signposted from Balclutha). Safety check 10am, race begins 10:30am. Prize giving from 12pm onwards on the Clutha River bank by the bridge. Create a home constructed raft and race it down the mighty Clutha. Acceptable raft power is man power, paddle power, crank. Explore the markets afterwards and relax and listen to some awesome music by the local band. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Great cash prizes up for grabs including $600 for first place. Funds raised donated to South Otago Search and Rescue and Kaka Point Surf Life Saving Club. Event organised by Project Clutha. Inquiries to email@example.com. Please register by THURS 7 FEB. Note: While late entries may be accepted – they will not qualify for the prize pool. Find more on the Facebook page here.
Nightcaps Young Farmers, which was established in 1953, will hold its 500th meeting on SAT 9 FEB. To mark the occasion, a special meeting and dinner is being held at the Nightcaps Town Hall. All current and former members, and general supporters of the club, are invited. The meeting is being sponsored by Rural Livestock. Anyone with club memorabilia can contact Justin on 027 773 4139 or emailTickets for the event, which includes dinner, supper and a live band, are $55 per person and can be purchased through
- The 50th Mataura Rodeo is on SAT 9 FEB at the rodeo grounds, the back-road between Mataura and Wyndham. Gates open 10am. Come along for barrel racing, steer wrestling, bucking bulls, and plenty of cowboy and girl action. Go western with a 60s Western dress theme, some great prizes up for grabs! Will be variety of food & refreshment stalls along with your chance to enter to win some amazing raffles. 50th memorabilia tent will display the highlights over the last 50 years. Local Barrel race, enter on the day, $5. Entry adults $15 entry, children $5, Under 5 years free! Please no BYO, no Glass, and no dogs. Licenced bar onsite, including after party with music from Casey Evans.
Also grab your limited edition 50th anniversary cap. Professional announcer Brent Cann coming from Australia for the occassion. Find more here.
- The MLT Moonshine Trail returns to Dolamore Park SAT 9 FEB. This annual mountain bike or run event offers a once-a-year chance to traverse the infamous Hokonui Hills, with great courses, great scenery and great company. With a fantastic range of spot prizes up for grabs, challenging but achievable courses and distances ranging from 5km to 50km, this is a great day out. The courses are on mainly private land that is only accessible during the event. Find more and register here.
- Models Over Mandeville returns the weekend SAT 9 and SUN 10 FEB at the Mandeville Aerodrome. Modelers come from right across the South Island to fly in an uncluttered airspace and on a nice, open site. All facets expected from the humble chuck glider, electric gliders and aeroplanes, aero-towed sailplanes, to helicopters and drones. Control-line stunt and combat planes have recently made a comeback too. There is no entry fee and no scheduled flight times, just bring the family from 10am! And grab a coffee and bite to eat from Miss Cocoa while you wait. For more call Pete on 208 9031. Fun fact: Mandeville is home to the Croydon Aviation Company, the only licenced company in the world to make Tiger Moth aircraft!
The annual Shakespeare in the Park season returns to Queens Park WED 13 - SAT 16 FEB. It's the Rude Mechanicals Revival, put together by Jade Gillies and Carla Wilson. Starring a cast of local performing veterans, this show will be entertaining for all ages and no prior understanding of Shakespeare is necessary. Come along an hour before the show with your picnic and enjoy a banquet-style meal under the trees or in the sun. They provide the table and chairs--you BYO food and family or friends. A cash bar will operate and pre-show entertainment will keep you happy! Shakespeare in the Park is presented in association with Venture Southland by the Shakespeare in the Park Charitable Trust. Evening shows start 7pm, matinee on SAT 16 FEB at 1pm. Tickets from EventFinda or Invers i-SITE.
- South Otago Town and Country Club is hosting a Hunting and Fishing Competition across two weekends - the 16+17 and 23+24 FEB. Entry $20, or free for U-13. Entries close FRI 15 FEB, weigh-in 3pm the Sat and Sun of each weekend. Inquiries and more information from the club on 418 1522. Also find more here.
- Join top Kiwi comedians Paul Ego and Justine Smith for a Comedy Night at the Scottish Hall Invercargill, FRI 15 MAR. Kicks off 8pm, tickets $30 + BF. Paul Ego is a veteran of the Kiwi comedy scene and has been described as "NZ's Top Professional Comedian" and "The Master of Improv". Best known as a team leader on TV's '7DAYS' and as the voice of a large yellow supermarket, Ego is also a former Billy T Award winner. Having also won the Billy T Award, the NZ Comedy Guild Best Female Comedian (twice) and the NZCG Best MC (also twice), Justine Smith has established herself as one of the key players in New Zealand Comedy, and is also looking forward to getting out around the south. Book via the ICC Booking Office, or TicketDirect.
Two former workmates at the iconic Mount Linton Station are set to clash in the FMG Young Farmer of the Year - Jacob Mackie and Allen Gregory. The hotly-contested Otago/Southland regional final is being held in Milton on SAT 16 FEB. Contestants will tackle a series of gruelling practical and theoretical modules at the Tokomairiro A&P Showgrounds. It will be followed by a dinner and fast-paced agri-knowledge quiz hosted by Te Radar at the Milton Coronation Hall. The Otago/Southland event is the first of seven regional finals being held across the country between February and April. The regional winners will face off at the FMG Young Farmer of the Year Grand Final in Hawke’s Bay in July.
- Gore Garden Club's annual Harvest Show is back SAT 16 and SUN 17 FEB at the Gore Town and Country Club. The theme this year is "Mexican Fiesta", due to this year combining with the SI National Dahlia Show and celebrating Mexico as the home of Dahlia. Over 600 vases of amazing Dahlias will be on show, together with the usual displays of all crafts, produce, children's and school entries. Participants also encouraged to enter a pinata. Also new this year the "blokes baking" category. There is a hidden fun item for kids to find around the exhibits. Show entries need to be in Friday 15 Feb, judging starts 7pm. Entry for the weekend is just $5, which includes a tea to enjoy. Kids under 15 free. Schedules available from our mates at Campbell's Garden Centre on Medway Street.
- Good luck to those having a hack in the Regional Ford Gore Golf Classic, the weekend SAT 16 and SUN 17 at Gore Golf Club. Starting times from 11am-1pm. For more and entry forms visit www.goregolfclub.co.nz/downloads.
- The Mandeville Fly-In is back the weekend SAT 23 and SUN 24 FEB, 10am-4pm each day at the Mandeville airfield. It's an open invitation to all aviators to literally "fly in" and park up for the day. It's also an opportunity for the public to take a ride in a Tiger Moth, or the de Havilland. The on-site Rogers K-92 steam train is likely to be in steam for the occassion, you might even get a ride in its carriage! Also look out for the traction engines, static steam displays, and other steam vehicles. Also treat yourself to a coffee and food at Miss Cocoa, some retail therapy at Money for Wine, and browse the Museum which will be open too. Find more www.experiencemandeville.com.
- The popular 1/8 Mile Drags are back in Gore on SUN 24 FEB, its 14th year in its current form. Willett Street is closed for the event from 9am-5pm, with racing down Woolwich Street from 11am. For those wishing to enter their car into the drag race, entry is $35. Any road-legal car is allowed to compete. Registration from 9am-10am. Last year around 50 entrants and a crowd of near 1000. Gold coin entry for spectators. Run by the Cobra Hot Rob Club. For more call Tony on 027 211 3076.
- NZCMA winner Marlon Williams brings his "Turangawaewae Tour" to the Civic Theatre Invercargill on THURS 28 FEB, 7:30pm. In celebration of his three wins at 2018 VNZMA's for Album of the Year, Best Solo Artist and Best Video, Marlon will play alongside his band, supported by Don McGlashan and Emily Fairlight. Tickets going fast from TicketDirect and the venue. Find more here.