What's On - Southland and South Otago
What's On - Southland and South Otago
Free Farmer Meals can be found at the Winton Presbyterian Church on Meldrum Street every WED night from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Get off the farm and enjoy a nice hot meal in a relaxing and informal atmosphere. Any farmer welcome. No bookings required, just turn up on the night. No need to get changed either, Just leave your gumboots at the door. For more you can email [email protected]
Clutha Foundation is a community foundation serving the Clutha District by connecting generous people with causes that matter. Their funding priorities for next year are Youth, Health and Education. They now welcome applications from not-for-profit groups and organisations in the Clutha District. Applications for the 2019/2020 funding round are now open and forms can be accessed from https://www.cluthanz.com/clutha-foundation/ or by emailing [email protected]. The closing date for applications is 10 February 2020. For more information, phone Fiona Hancox 027 217 3960 or Kerry Seymour 027 437 2586.
- The Gore and Districts Choir, aka the Local Vocals, is looking for more women to join their group. The purpose of the women's choir is to provide opportunity for members of the community to enjoy the benefits of singing in a choir as well as offering quality performances to the community. The choir accepts members over the age of 15. The choristers do not have to read music. Rehearsals are held Monday evenings between 7:30pm and 9pm at the Calvin Church on Robertson Street. The next term starts in Feb. For more contact Jane Pullar on 027 672 4828.
- H+J Smith Gore has again created Santa's Grotto, and is hosting photos with Santa SAT 14 DEC from 11am - 2pm, and SUN 15 DEC 10:30am - 1:30pm. Then across the week MON 16 - SAT 21 from 11am - 2pm. SUN 22 DEC from 10:30am - 1:30pm. MON 23 and TUES 24 from 11am - 2pm.
- Young West Otago farm worker Shaun Bradley has been battling Stage 4 large B-cell non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and is now faced with the challenge of fighting a secondary CNS brain tumor. Over the Summer months, local livestock reps and drafters are facilitating a stock drive to help support his young family Olivia and Charlotte. Please contact your local agent to organise drop-off points or pick-up times if you are able to help. If you would like more information or are able to help in other ways, please contact Scott Stiven on 027 335 2403. The group has set up a Facebook page called Stock Drive for the Bradley Family.
- St Mary's School invites you to explore Cooking with the Saints Volume 2. A gorgeous cookbook offering. Available from TUES 10 DEC from these locations: St Mary's School office, New World Gore, Lily Jackson's Flowers and Esplins Dairy. Just $50.
After sellout shows in the North Island, New Zealand rock legends The Narcs take their Unplugged Tour to the south. This is a chance for the band to pull back the veil, strip things down and explore the many hidden songs from The Narcs' back catalogue and side projects – as well as the hits. 2020 marks the band’s 40th anniversary. At the Southland Musicians Club on THURS 12 DEC. Exclusive only 70 tickets available! Early bird tickets $33.75, general admission $38.88 (from 1 December). Find more and book now at www.eventfinda.co.nz.
- Ray White Gore believe every child deserves to smile this Christmas. Drop a gift under the tree at reception on Main Street by this FRI 13 DEC for "a Little Ray of Giving". The gifts will be passed onto local families at Ronald McDonald House just in time for the big day. Ask today about a free appraisal from the team too. You could be pleasantly surprised.
- Ice Sport Southland present Disney Bonanza on Ice this FRI 13 at 7pm, and SAT 14 at 12noon at Gore Ice Rink, MLT Event Centre. The show features nearly 50 skaters aged from 5yrs to 50yrs, who have been rehearsing for almost 2 months. Featuring scenes from The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin and more. Tickets from the venue and on the door.
- Dine and Dance is back at Heartland Hotel Croydon on FRI 13 and SAT 14 DEC. 3 course buffet and live music from Noise Complaint from 6:30pm. Just $60pp, perfect go-to end of year function. To book and for more get in touch with the venue on 208 9029. And give them a like on Facebook.
- Gore RSA is hosting Mrs Brownz Boys - the Christmas Tribute Show, on FRI 13 and SAT 14 DEC, both nights from 6pm. Featuring 2 hour show, 3 course meal and DJ until late. Tickets open to general public and only $75. Get yours from www.dkcm.co.nz. For more get in contact with venue direct.
- Gore Round Table is hosting their Christmas Tree Sale on SAT 14 DEC at The Trout, from 9am. Just $10 each.
- The 154th annual Tokomairiro A+P Show is on SAT 14 DEC at the Milton Showgrounds. Entertainment on stage from Tempo - one of NZ's finest covers bands and magician Josh Gremaldi. Free helicopter ride for four people up for grabs thanks to Lister Helicopter. Demonstration from NZ Gumboot Throwing Champion Kieran Fowler. The popular Children's Farm Sports Challenge is back. Human sulky race is up for grabs too. Santa and Mrs Claus will feature. Find more by searching the show on Facebook.
- Celebrate the year and celebrate the season with Ascot Park Christmas at the Races! Treat yourself to an action-packed day of entertainment including fantastic food and drink, live music and thrilling racing action. From a low-key picnic on the lawn to a festive themed and fully catered marquee of your own, our friendly team will make planning your perfect Christmas function a breeze. Gates open from 12pm, GA just $23. More here.
The Winton Harness Racing Club are trialing a great new innovation at their meeting at Central Southland Raceway in Winton this SUN 15 DEC. To promote exciting racing every race will be subject to a maximum field of just ten horses. The concept is being tried to give a tighter class of racing and with smaller fields every horse in each race will have a better chance in the running. The ten horse limit should provide a good show for spectators with good quality racing. Ten races are scheduled for the day with the feature race being the AON Insurance Equine Stakes. With the Christmas season upon us the club is treating the children on course to free mini jeep rides while Santa will also pay a visit with some treats for the kids. Kidz Kartz will be on course to race and there will also have a Whitebait stand which is a fundraiser for Kidz Kartz, the whitebait having been donated by Gerald Cayford. The first race is scheduled from 12.17pm and admission to the course is free.
- Looking for a Christmas present? Tickets to the Southern Field Days Rugby game between a Southland Invitational v top Fijian club team Nadroga Rugby go on sale MON 16 DEC. Just $15 per adult, which includes free entry for one child under 16yrs. Additional children just $5 (booking fee applies). Get yours from iTicket.co.nz, the St James Theatre, or from the SFD office. The game is THURS 13 FEB at Fred Booth Park, 6pm kick off. Pre-entertainment by The Southern Man - Denis Henderson.
- Invercargill YMCA Carols in the Park is on WED 18 DEC at the Queens Band Rotunda, 7pm until 8:30pm. A free event for families and people of all ages to enjoy singing favourite Christmas songs along with local Southland musicians. There will be coffee, water and a sausage sizzle on sale (cash only). Supporting Southland Foodbank, so any donations on the night are appreciated. Postponement day is Thursday 19 Dec. Will be advised on their event Facebook page.
- Riversdale School hosts their festive production Cinderella and Rockerfella at the Riversdale Community Centre WED 18 and THURS 19 DEC. Both evenings from 6:30pm. It's a modern, panto-style reworking of a classic tale. Get in touch with the school for details and tickets.
- The Hokonui $10,000 Cash for Christmas Announcement Night is on THURS 19 DEC. Join us down Irk Street from 5:30pm for live entertainment from ex-Gold Guitar winners Arun O'Connor and Jaydin Shingleton, community food stalls, free entertainment for the kids and more. 7pm we do the draw for $10,000 cash, you must be there to win! Find more here.
- The amnesty and buy-back for prohibited firearms and parts is ending on FRI 20 DEC. While the online notification system is no longer available, firearm holders can still attend a collection event and complete the process there. If firearm holders need a bulk pick-up of items, or want to apply for unique prohibited item compensation or have a firearm modified, call 0800 311 311. Firearms may also be handed in at Police stations.
- The South Alive Christmas Night Food Market is back on FRI 20 DEC, 5:30pm. There will be food, entertainment and something special for the kids. Running until 8pm down Grace Street, Invercargill. Come along for a look, entry is free!
Winton Community Market is a well established market running for over 10 years. The final one for 2019 will be SAT 21 DEC, 10am - 1pm. The welcoming, family friendly atmosphere makes this a great event to attend. Loads of amazing stalls with unique items on offer. An onsite cafe nourishes you while you browse and a children's play room keeps the kids entertained. Held in the Presbyterian Church Complex, 11 Meldrum Street in Winton.
- MASSAV Productions presents Christmas In The Park on SAT 21 DEC from 3pm. At the Queens Park Band Rotunda. Free event! Get into the Christmas spirit with an afternoon full of entertainment and food for the whole family. Pack a picnic blanket and enjoy the beautiful surrounds of Queens Park. Live performances by The Possum Pickers, Jetset, Lachie Hayes, Sam Cullen, Ramblin' Roses, and Special Guest appearance from Santa himself. There will be a range of food vendors on site. Running until 9pm. Alcohol Free | All Ages | Free Event. For more email:
- The Waihopai City Lions Southland Christmas Tree Festival at ILT Stadium Southland is now open from 4.00pm - 8.00pm week days and 10.00am - 4.00pm weekends. It runs until SUN 22 DEC. Involving a display of more than 20 Christmas trees for charity. Two Christmas trees are of special significance. One tree offers a chance for festival-goers to place a present under it which would then be gifted to a local charity. and a second tree that allows attendees to remember loved ones by placing a decorative name tag on its branches. Activities are aplenty at the event, and there is even a chance to meet Santa – but only if you’re good. Christmas music will, of course, be played along with a poet reciting Yuletide verse. Group bookings can be made by contacting Stadium Southland.
- Tapanui Racing Club is celebrating 150yrs with the Dynes Transport $55,000 Tapanui Cup at Gore Racecourse on SUN 22 DEC. Mini marquee and hospitality packages available. For more email [email protected]
The Centre Hill to Mossburn Down River Dash (the Dash for Cash) is a time trial bike, run and social run/ride to be held SUN 22 DEC. Meet at the Mossburn Golf Club for 10am start. Bikers will leave in 20 second intervals from Centre Hill, riding down the newest section of the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail, approximately 23km along the Oreti River to Mossburn. Runners will all leave together, running 16km down the trail to the finish line in Mossburn. No online payment (pay cash on the day) but you can pre-register online to save time on event day. Adults $25, children 12 & under $10. Cash prizes up for grabs for the fastest man and woman! For more email: [email protected] Find them on Facebook.
- The 4th MLT Christmas in the Theatre returns SUN 22 DEC at the SBS St James, 2pm. Another great extravaganza of talent. Featuring Marian Burns from Auckland, Kayla Mahon and the Cuzzie's Band, Tangled Strings, the Local Vocals choir, Jenny Harroway, Seba Metzler, Ron Mitchell, the MLT Christmas Choir, Craig Wadsworth, Triple Shot and Jeff Rea. Tickets just $20 per adult, and $10 for kids. From iTicket and the venue.
Without doubt the ILT Christmas Variety Show is one of the highlights of the event calendar with over 400 performers and a special guest appearance from Santa Claus! On at ILT Stadium Southland on SUN 22 DEC, 7pm. Tickets from TicketDirect or the venue, just $14 for kids and $17 for adults. Get in touch with the venue for more. A spectacular show which always sells out.
The Distinction Hotels Te Anau Tennis Invitational showcases some of New Zealand’s strongest male tennis players over two days of action, SAT 28 and SUN 29 DEC, 10am - 4pm. Enjoy some of NZ’s best tennis at the friendly and casual atmosphere of Te Anau’s outdoor tennis arena. Entry cost is per day, per adult (children under 12 free) and grandstand seating is available on a first come, first served basis. Other seating available on the grassy area, you are welcome to bring picnic blankets, deckchairs. Delicious snacks, coffee and alcoholic beverages are available for purchase at the venue. The Te Anau Tennis Club appreciates your support as the proceeds of this tournament go towards subsidising it’s junior players. They look forward to seeing you there! Note: the tournament will go ahead rain or shine. If weather isn’t good, games will be held inside at the Fiordland Community Events Centre and general admission may be restricted in this case. Find more by emailing: [email protected]
Southland District Council has joined forces with Sport Southland to create active summer fun for youngsters throughout the district. Council’s annual holiday programme will run in January at six locations – Winton, Wyndham, Otautau, Tokonui, Stewart Island and Te Anau. The Sport Southland crew will be engaging with a variety of regional sports organisations, local clubs, arts and crafts groups and community groups to develop a comprehensive programme which caters for a variety of interests. Each programme will be structured to ensure participants can sample a range of activities with children split into two age groups – 5-8 years and 9-12 years. Confirmed dates for the programme, which runs from 10am to 3pm each day, are: Tokonui Friday 17th January (40 spots available), Winton Monday 20th January (60 spots available) Buses from Nightcaps, Te Anau Wednesday 22nd January (80 spots available) Buses from Lumsden via Mossburn, Wyndham Friday 24th January (60 spots available) Buses from Riversdale and Woodlands via Edendale, Otautau Monday 27th January (60 spots available) Buses from Riverton and Tuatapere, Stewart Island Wednesday 29th January (25 spots available). The programme costs $6 per participant with registration is available online at www.sdcholidayprogramme.co.nz.
Top quality sporting action comes to Bluff early in the New Year with confirmation that the first round of the Mountain Bike New Zealand National Series Downhill Champs will take place on Bluff Hill SUN 12 JAN. Up to around 140 competitors along with their support crews are expected to descend on the town with a high calibre of competitor expected as they chase the national title. With the second round scheduled at Coronet Peak just one week later it gives competitors from all over the country the opportunity to travel to the south of the country for two events in quick succession. Organisers are also keen to hear from anyone interested in volunteering on the day to help with the event. Information as the champs draw near will be available on the Southland Mountain Bike Club Facebook page.
- The NZ Chartered Clubs Men's Golf Tournament is being held at Gore Golf Club across two days SAT 1 and SUN 2 FEB. Hosted by Gore RSA and Gore Town and Country Club. About 160 players across 40, four man teams are expected. From Nelson to Bluff. 36 hole tournament. Also events to be held at the RSA and T+C.