Eastern Southland Visitor Guide
Eastern Southland Visitor Guide
From out of town? Here's a few services and places that could come in handy during your stay:
Stay connected with the FREE WiFi provided across Gore CBD at the Gore Multisports Complex. The service is available 24/7 and there is unlimited data over whatever time period required. Search "Gore Free WiFi" on your device. Find more here.
Gore is officially New Zealand’s southernmost Motorhome Friendly Town. There are five locations for overnight camping - Dolamore Park, Gore A+P Showgrounds, Gore Town and Country Club, Gore Motor Camp and Clock Tower Land. This in addition to the four dump stations and four locations with laundry facilities available. Find full information on these offerings, including locations and costs, here.
- Laundry facilities are available at a new site opposite the Trout on Medway Street (next to Connor and Fitzpatrick Beta Electrical). Facilities also to be found at Esplanade Motel, Charlton Motel, Gore A&P Showgrounds and the Gore Motor Camp. All machines coin operated. There is no requirement to be staying at these locations to use the facilities. More here.
- Parking around the Gore CBD is some of the cheapest in the country, at just $1 per hour. Note our machines only accept change, no card. Not to worry on THURS 15 FEB however, as GoRetail are offering FREE parking all day! Look out for the green bags over the meters to indicate this.
- Try zorb balls, laser tag, swimming, and ice-skating on the southern-most rink in the country at the Gore Multisports Complex. Off Robertson Street. 03 203 9128.
- Keep up your fitness while away from home - take a swim from 6am each morning at the Multisports Complex (above), or stop by Total Body Fitness Gym, and ask about their 24 hour access to work around your busy SFD schedule. 25 Mersey Street. 03 208 6165. www.totalbodygym.co.nz.
- Go for a hack on one of the finest 18-hole courses Southland has to offer, Gore Golf Course. Offering sharp green fees, club, trundler and cart hire. Terry Road, off Reaby Road (en route to Dolamore Park). More here.
- Go explore the stunning setting of the Dolamore Park Scenic Reserve. Great for a hike through the bush, a picnic, a break, or some fun with the kids with a great playground (including a must-try flying fox). Dolamore Park Road, off Reaby Road around 10min from town. 03 208 6896.
- Take some time to stroll through the award-winning Gore Gardens in the centre of town, beside New World supermarket. Explore the aviary. Then drive down Ardwick Street, up Crewe Street and visit Bannerman Park. Look out for the deer, which are more than happy to receive some food!
- Take a short drive to Mandeville to explore an exciting range of yesteryear aircraft at the Croydon Aviation Heritage Centre. Be thrilled by a flight in a working Tiger Moth. Settle the nerves by looking through the art gallery, and refuel with a delicious range of food and drink in Miss Cocoa Coffee. All at The Moth, 1558 Waimea Highway, SH94 (the one to Lumsden, 15mins from Gore). 03 208 6046. www.experiencemandeville.com.
- Take some time to sit back and catch a new movie on the big screen at the SBS St James Theatre. Find them on 61 Irk Street. Full screening times and information at www.sbsstjamesgore.co.nz. 03 208 7396.
- The Eastern Southland Gallery is home of the internationally acclaimed John Money Collection, Ralph Hotere Gallery, and a diverse programme of exhibitions. Find them on Hokonui Drive, across from the Information Centre. 03 208 9907 or www.esgallery.co.nz.
- Expand your knowledge of local history at the intimate Mataura Museum (Kana Street, Mataura), or at the Pioneer Village (opposite the Heartland Hotel Croydon, Gore). For more and hours visit www.gorenz.com.
- Visit the Hokonui Moonshine Museum and sample the "Old Hokonui" Moonshine whiskey. Hokonui Drive, entry via the Information Centre. 03 203 9288. For more and hours visit www.gorenz.com.
- Grab a photo with the Trout, or the NZ Country Music Hands of Fame statue. Find both of these off Ordsal Street = "the triangle".
These local tips are offered in partnership with the Gore District Council. Find them at site 201 during Southern Field Days. More on what Gore District has to offer at www.gorenz.com. #lovegore