What's On Southland & South Otago
What's On Southland & South Otago
WHAT'S ON SOUTHLAND
- Riversdale Arts is hosting a Breakout Art Exhibition at the Croydon Aviation Heritage Centre in Mandeville from FRI 1 OCT - SUN 31 OCT. A collection of artworks from members of the Riversdale Arts committee. It features watercolour, oils, acrylics, mixed media, photography, pottery and textile works. Gala opening is Friday 1 Oct, 7pm, no charge. Then open daily 10am-4pm. Find more www.riversdalearts.co.nz or track them down on Facebook.
- South Alive has some FREE events coming up for the October School Holidays. Visit their Facebook page for all details.
- Monday 4th October, 1pm: Kapa Ora - Make you own poi to take home.
- Wednesday 6th October, 10.30am: Library Storytime.
- Thursday 7th October, 1pm - 3pm: Safety in Action - Fun activities with emergency services.
- Friday 8th October, 1pm - 3pm: Chalk Art.
- Monday 11th October: Raranga (weaving).
- Thursday 14th & Friday 15th October, 1pm: Self defence for Year 10 - 13 girls.
- Kiwi expat JAN PRESTON relocated to NZ, and is returning to her beloved South Island (she is originally from Greymouth) for the release her latest CD Piano Boogie Woman. Audiences will be bopping along to Jan’s characteristically energetic playing, sultry blues voice and candid humour as she airs her latest songs together with some old boogie/blues favourites. Jan Preston’s early career began in NZ with the 1980 Hit Band Coup D’Etat. Winner of 5 music awards, she also composes music for film and TV.She will be joined by Mike Pullman on percussion and special guests. At Te Anau Club WED 6 OCT 7:30pm, and Southland Muso's Club FRI 8 OCT, 8pm. Tickets $25 from club or with eventfinda.
- ILT Stadium Southland is bringing back Tiny Town (as featured at Kidzone) for the school holidays WED 6 - SAT 16 OCT. 75min sessions daily from 9am-4:15pm. Just $5 per child, $2 adults and a family pass $12. Bookings are essential - for more and to book contact the ILT Stadium Southland reception.
- Gore Kids Hub Presents "Communication with our Children" with Steph Holloway on THURS 7 OCT, 9:45am-11am. This session is aimed to help you see how amazing you are as a parent, as well as working on the things you would like to change. Helping you to ask the right questions to children to see what is really happening, and recognising that it's never too late to reset. $20pp including morning tea. To register email [email protected]
Queens Park Golf Club 23rd Liquorland Golf in the Park Classic is on the weekend SAT 9 - SUN 10 OCT. Teams of 4 golfers (men, woman, mixed). Saturday – 4BBB Stableford, Sunday – Individual Stableford. Entry Fee – $260 per team – includes a meal on Saturday. Preference for an afternoon tee time will be given to teams that played in the afternoon the previous year and and enter and pay by 11th September. Other teams requesting an afternoon tee time will be allocated on a first in basis. Closing date is 1st October, 2021. Any enquiries please phone Brian Suddaby on 0211-608-443, Email [email protected].
- Invercargill Toy and Puzzle Library is hosting a $10 Family Portrait Fundraiser on SUN 10 OCT at the Gladstone Scout Hall (100 Russell Street). A professional photographer from Jack n' Jill is lined up for the event. For only $10 to book, you will receive a FREE digital file of your choice valued at $69! Perfect for an updated family photo in time for Xmas. Every $10 booking fee is retained by the Invercargill Toy as part of our fundraiser. Find more and book here: https://jnjsouthern.co.nz/book/11077.
Come and join Dairy Women's Network for a Q&A panel discussion about moving from the calf shed to the cow shed! On WED 13 OCT at Winton's Top Pub. Now that we are on the other side of the busy calving period, this is your chance to get off-farm and connect with others. Natalie Hughes (SealesWinslow) and Samantha Edgar (Northern Southland Vets) will be there to answer all your questions about weaning and growing out heifers. Nibbles and arrival drinks will be provided.If you wish to have a more substantial meal, this will be at your own expense and will need to be pre-ordered by contacting Melissa. Additional drinks will be at your own expense. 6pm til 9pm.
Show Me Shorts Film Festival is on WED 13 OCT at Lodge223 Waikaia. Sit back and enjoy some of the best and most vibrant short films from Aotearoa New Zealand and around the world. This collection provides a great way to sample what Show Me Shorts is all about. Witness magical Colombian furniture, vicious Scottish lightning and village edicts from a powerful Sudanese matriarch. Fly a starship with your dad, or just chill with him and your imaginary friend. Just try to avoid the hitman… For information on other collections and locations visit the Show Me Shorts Programme on the website. Total length: 105 minutes Rating: M Drug use & offensive language. Films featured from the UK, Sudan, Colombia, Netherlands, US and more.
- NZ Sign Language is a fun, challenging, interactive language to learn. Come and join the 8 week block course with a NZSL qualified tutor. A wonderful professional development opportunity for teachers, managers, staff, customer service staff and families of deaf children to learn NZSL and about deaf culture. At South Alive Invercargill Fridays starting FRI 15 OCT, 6pm-8pm. $130 including e-handouts. Limited spaces, for more contact [email protected] or text 022 120 5065. You can also visit www.mergenz.co.nz/events/nzsl-onsite-course-invercargill-beg-1b.
The 2021 Southland Business Excellence Awards will take place at Bill Richardson Transport World on FRI 15 OCT. The awards event brings together the various sectors of Southland Business to measure excellence in every corner of our region’s community. They have been running for more than 10 years, and it’s always an exciting time to celebrate local business at its best. Enjoy fantastic night of celebrations with local cuisine, a fine wines, and excellent live entertainment. Network with local business and industry leaders, be part of this glittering, glamorous, black-tie occasion and witness the award presentations for yourself. Your ticket price includes a glass of bubbles on arrival, fabulous 3 course dinner, red & white wine with dinner and entertainment. More here: https://southlandchamber.co.nz/events/45815/.
- Artists of Southland - Tuatapere Art Exhibition is on one weekend only FRI 15 - SUN 17 OCT at the RSA Hall on Main Street. Opening night Friday 7pm, then Sat 10am-4pm and Sun 10am-3pm. All welcome with art for sale. Find more Artists of Southland on Facebook.
October Club Race Day at Teretonga Park is on SUN 17 OCT, featuring the Noel McIntyre Drainage Club Saloons & Sports and Racing Cars. Free Entry for Spectators. Action starts at 11.00am. https://www.facebook.com/events/1169997723506731.
- Southland Secondary School's Jazz Fest is on at Ascot Park Hotel THURS 21 OCT, 7pm. Watch secondary schools from Southland and Central Otago perform at Jazz Fest 2021. Door Sales – Adults $10 & Students $5. Find more here: https://www.facebook.com/events/185671666769243.
Two of New Zealand’s best-loved musicians - classical pianist, Michael Houstoun, and foremost jazz trombonist and big band leader Rodger Fox – bring their acclaimed concert series to Civic Theatre Invercargill on THURS 21 OCT, 5pm. Hear them perform brand new jazz adaptations of classic pieces by Gino Vannelli arranged by acclaimed composer Bill Cunliffe. And that’s not all. The Big Band will present material from their New York studio recording of New Zealand original compositions and special guest vocalist Erna Ferry will perform. Tickets available at Ticketek.
- The Wonderland Glow Show is coming to Gore for one day only WED 27 OCT at the SBS St James Theatre. 10am for 0-5yrs and 11:30am for 6-12yrs. A magical glow in the dark GIANT scale puppet show based on the timeless Alice in Wonderland. Visit www.glowshow.co.nz for more and tickets. Listen to Luke Howden on Hokonui to win tickets on us!
It’s time to check-in to Hotel California The Eagles Experience – the captivating live concert and stage show saluting the extraordinary talent and timeless catalogue of The Eagles. At St James Gore THURS 28 OCT, and Civic Theatre Invers on FRI 29 OCT. With a stage full of show-stopping voices and musicians, relive the beautiful country harmonies, the rockin’ guitar solos and the masterful songwriting in all its glory, performed live on stage. Hear all the classic tracks that topped the charts and tested the boundaries of Rock and Country including Hotel California, Desperado, Take It Easy, One of These Nights, Tequila Sunrise, Heartache Tonight, Life in the Fast Lane, Take it to the Limit, Witchy Woman, New Kid In Town, Lyin’ Eyes, Get Over It, Love will Keep Us Alive, Best of My Love and more. A carefully-crafted tribute that music fans will truly appreciate. Tickets from Ticketek and iTicket.
- Rotary Club or Invercargill North Family Fun Day is on SAT 30 OCT at Queens Park. Dress up yourself and your wheels (bike) in halloween theme. Activities from 1:30pm-4:30pm include dog demonstations and obedience, live music, wheels events for all ages, rock hunt. Halloween trail from 5pm-7pm in The Stumpery with free sausages, games and activities. 2pm is the Pram/Trike event for Under 5's, 2:40pm is the Scooter/Bike event for 5yrs-8yrs, and 3:15pm is the Bike/Scooter event for 8yrs+. Find more on Facebook.
The Extravaganza Fair is a community centred event with a creative and sustainable focus. It is a family affair, FREE ENTRY, fun day out with a full weekends free entertainment. On SAT 30 OCT at Surrey Park, Invercargill. We bring a spark of fun, zero entry cost, grassroots shows & old school values which is a thrill for young and old. Unique & interesting market stalls, arts and craft, food, musical entertainment, the fabulous Ashton Family Circus, Dylan Daisy’s Magic Show, LuckyStar from festivals such as Splore, unique to NZ tiny homes, solar power, kids shows & games. With our retro inspired sun shade lounges and hang out zones, you’ll want to stay all day!!! More here: https://www.facebook.com/events/525453765151696.
- Riversdale Arts are hosting a series of workshops the weekend SAT 30 - SUN 31 OCT. Including a wire Christmas Tree making workshop with Lee van der Geest, Xmas Garland Workshop with Anna King, Mixed Media with Andrea Sexton and Stone Carving with Suzanne Emslie. All workshops can be booked online at bookwhen.com/riversdalearts and www.riversdalearts.co.nz.